PDA

View Full Version : Someone doesn't want me to boat this year...

EricG
06-26-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't know what is conspiring against me this year, but I just can't seem to use my boat. I installed my tabs in preparation for the season, and then the weather was crappy for about 6 weeks. 2 Weeks ago we had a beautiful day, but when I tried to fire the boat in the driveway - the battery was dead. So I left it on the charger and went Jet Skiing....

Saturday actually put the boat in a small local lake to at least try out the tabs. The battery was dead again (Hmmm...it's never not held a charge before :confused: ), but I used the portable jump starter and got her running. We cruised around the lake looking at houses and just enjoying a nice evening on the water - until the only other performance boat we saw all night went by, right when my boat DIED. It's never done that before...hmmm - battery again perhaps. So, I jumped it again, started right up, and as long as I ran it up to get the alternator charging, it ran fine, but as soon as I idled it down it would die after about 30 seconds...so the battery is shot. We did manage a few speed runs to try to figure out if the tabs have cost me any speed....the jury is still out. I ran 2 MPH less than my top, but I also had a full tank of fuel and 200lbs of Dad with me....so I'm not sure if I've lost much off my top speed alone with light fuel.

Sunday, head to Costco for a new bat - they are out of them. Head a little further to Sears...get the battery in, boat starts right up. Head for the lake. Based on the fact that it's 90 degrees here (which happens about 5 days a year), I knew Lake Washington would be a madhouse...probably 2 hour wait to launch. So we decided to head to Dad's lake house and play from there for the day. Get to the Launch - Sheriff: "Sorry, Lake's Full - no more Launches until after 6 PM", Me: "We have a house on the lake, I just want to put the boat on the lift.", Sheriff: "Nope....lakes full". So, we head to the house, park the boat, and ride the Jet Skiis again....:mad: :mad: :mad: The real irony is, we have a launch, but the neighbors were using it when nobody was home and damaged the yard - so we put a storage shed in front of it and only use it for the aforementioned jet skis....pretty sad when you can't use your own stuff because inconsiderate people have ruined it for you.

Anyway, just had to vent. My season so far:
Boat - 60 Minutes
Jet Ski - 10 hours

Then again, I still have 3/4 of a tank of $2.15 gas :yes:

EG

joel3078
06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I hear ya. I have about 1/3 tank left of last years gas @ $2.38 93 octane. About 10 hours on the boat this year so far. We have had all time record high water in the big lake I go to and it always seems to be raining on weekends. On the flip side, July and August here are usually a drought. Then it rains again, followed by white manure commonly refered to as snow. Get your used boat from MN, WI, OH, IL, MI, etc. the season is short!!!!!

chrisc2
07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Eric,

I know this thread is a bit aged, but what a difference a bit of time makes. For those of you not in the NW we are in the middle of a great summer for weather.

Eric why don't you launch in Edmonds (salt water) and skip LK Wa alltogether? The chop is fine.....

Best to all,
C2:)

EricG
07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Eric,
I know this thread is a bit aged, but what a difference a bit of time makes. For those of you not in the NW we are in the middle of a great summer for weather.
Eric why don't you launch in Edmonds (salt water) and skip LK Wa alltogether? The chop is fine.....
Best to all,
C2:)

I did Lk Wash again a few weekends ago, and after that, I'm done with it. I wish Edmonds had a launch - I just recently discovered the sling launch down there, that I might take advantage of in the next few weeks, but it's pretty expensive ($26 for launch and haulout). I admit I haven't hit the salt in the 18 nearly as much as I did in the Z I had a few years ago - not sure why, although Kath isn't crazy about the lack of freeboard in the 18... we've had it out there a few times and always had fun.

Where are you located, and what boat? Welcome to the board!

EG

chrisc2
07-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks EG - We are across from you in Kingston. In fact we are up on the bluff with a clear view to Edmonds. We usually operate out of Miller Bay (between Indianola and Agate pass, just N of Bainbridge) as we have a boat shop over there. We are running a Classic 22. Regards,C2