PDA

View Full Version : Trying to mount the engine....

Jamesbon
06-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Last night I bolted the drive on (not permanently....still have to re-paint it) so I could see where the engine needs to go. As I lowered the engine/trans. down and back, I quickly realized I had to widen the hole in the transom about 1/2" to clear the 72C trans. Once I pulled the engine back out opened the hole a bit, I put her back in and found out I still need to make another notch in the transom hole for the oil outlet on the transmission. As she sits now, the tail shaft of the female coupler only engages about half of the splined shaft on the drive. I need about an inch more. I have a feeling I may need to add clearance for the 6 transmission mounting bolts as well. At that point I was itchy from cutting glass, sweating my ass off and ready for a shower, so I called it a night.
I'm also a little concerned with the height of the engine. The front pulley was about a foot from the bottom of the boat and it appeared that my risers will probably JUST clear the hatch. I'm thinking I may need to trim the bottom corners off of the rear solid plate mount to get the whole assembly a little deeper in the bilge. As you can see from one of the pics, the rear plate mount was resting on a piece of 5/8" plywood. I guess I'll remove those plywood strips and see if that helps. I hate to start widdling away at the rear plate mount for clearance, but if I have to I will. Any input/words of wisdom are welcomed.

Jamesbon
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Okay, Wednesday I notched out the transom hole to clear the 2 outer tranny nuts and oil return fitting. I lowered the engine back in, lined up the splined shafts and used plywood strips to center everything up. She fits in nice now. What you see in the pics is the engine blocked in where it will be mounted permanently. Today I'm picking up (4) 1' long pieces of 1/2" x 6" x 6" T6 aluminum to mount between the stringers and solid plate motor mounts.

With the transmission riding in the extension box, checking and filling the trans. oil will be very interesting at best. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jamesbon
07-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Yeah, it's 6061 T6. All I could find locally was 6061 in a 1/2" 6 x 6. It's plenty strong for the application. 4 feet was a little over a hundred bucks.....

I have to set them in the boat, clamp them to the stringer and plate mount, then drill the appropriate holes then trim the excess off of the angle, then get them polished and finally mount'em up. I'm hoping to have this done by next weekend.

Lenny
07-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Nate, that looks GREAT :yes:

MOP
07-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Nate to back track into your other post, the wedge is what is causing the engine to be so high in the front. I was a bit curious when I looked at the pic of the wedge thinking it would do just what it has done, why did Rik recommend the wedge? Without the wedge the engine would be almost level basicly in the stock position, I could see using the wedge on a -0- degree transom but ours are 11 degrees.

Phil

Donzigo
07-02-2006, 06:12 AM
Nate............nice work, as always. A coupld of things.

a. you might want to touch the rear stringer with something, to prevent the intrusion of water on the left rear, where that little tle tale bit on water is.

b. JTR, down in Gulfport, is great at manufacturing almost anything out of stainless or aluminium, should you run into the need for a custome formed engine bracket.

WOW, what a nice job. I hope I see it run, before I punch my ticket........

We'll be out at Shell all day Sunday.

smokediver
07-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Nate , lookin' good ! I hope it is ready by sept..... You ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon Richard ....

Jamesbon
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
MOP,
Yes,the wedge causes the engine to be at a greater angle than without.

Donzigo,
Yes, I'll touch up the engine bay once everythings in place. I've already dinged her up a bit getting the engine in. That water stain was left by something that oozed out of the limber hole in the rear stringer. I already picked up the aluminum angle to attach to the plate mounts.

Thanks smokediver! I hope she'll be done too.

I'm hoping to get the engine bolted in this Saturday.....

Donzigo
07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
Poodle, yes, your beer money is as good as in Fort Knox..........safe! I saw Nate and a very nice looking "hottie" at Shell, this weekend. He's got plenty to keep him distracted.