PDA

View Full Version : Don't Understand

BodyByJake
06-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Change hub in prop... still spins in drive freely. Thinking its the coupler in between enigine and out drive??? Is this common? Also shaft from outdrive is spinning that comes in the rear of the boat to the engine while in forward drive.. anybody

penbroke
06-25-2006, 08:48 PM
If he can see the shaft turning doesn't that suggest the problem is in the drive??

Frank
Volvo guy.:confused:

BodyByJake
06-25-2006, 09:16 PM
the shaft is turning only when we are spinning the prop manuelly. Only when it is in gear though. When it is in neutral it doesn't spin the shaft to the engine. So, could it be the coupling?

penbroke
06-26-2006, 09:20 AM
the shaft is turning only when we are spinning the prop manuelly. Only when it is in gear though. When it is in neutral it doesn't spin the shaft to the engine. So, could it be the coupling?

Oh. I didn't understand that from the original question. It does indeed sound like the coupling has failed.

Frank
Always listen to 'Poodle.:yes:

BodyByJake
06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
yeah. Thanks for the input. I was affraid that that was the problem. Now it is crunch time. Our goal is to get it in the water for the fourth! Do you recommend a particular company to order these parts from? Or a website to check out. Also I bought an owners manual for my outdrive and none of the pictures correspond with my outdrive. I have a bravo one performance outdrive w a low water pick up. I doesn't have the little holes on the side of the lower unit like all the pictures show and the screw hole for the draining and filling of the gear lube. Do I need to get a special manual? Thanks again!

MOP
06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
The drain screw may be in behind the prop at the top of the bearing carrier like mine not sure if they are all alike. The shaft between the engine and the drive should always turn at the same speed, before you pull the engine I would check the drive oil for traces of metal. Sounds like a coupler but could be in the drive, you need to do some checking.