PDA

View Full Version : I think I scewed-up my impeller???

fasttrucker
06-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Was at the beach swimming yesterday here on the bay,.When we left I picked-up sand and stuffed my sea-strainer.I wasnt paying attention to the temp.gauge:bonk: and the alarm went off.:( So I stopped the boat and cleaned out the strainer.:yes: When I started it back up the water seems not to fill-up the strainer like before.It still pumping guess I need to replace the Impeller?:confused:

fasttrucker
06-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Did ya check the O ring (or whatever seals it) on the sea strainer??
I would backwash the coolers etc first, than try it again. Sand can get past the strainers and pack the cooler and engine....
Iam going to go down to the docks and try to hook-up the fresh water flush.Maybe that might help.also after that run back yesterday It might have cleaned it out.?

mrfixxall
06-25-2006, 11:36 AM
i would also pull the plugs in the block and let it drain in the bilage..same with the exhaust risers...and about the impeller i would replace it ....its cheeper then an over heated engine...

LKSD
06-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Repl the impeller if in doubt.. You can get the merc ones off of my site. Also like they said it wouldn't hurt to pull the drain plugs on the engine & maifolds & let the silt out. You can also work a small piece of wire in the drain holes to help get asa much out as possible.... Jamie / Lakeside :)

fasttrucker
06-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Well I wet vacumed the sea-strainer and it seems to be o.k..Not as good as it used to pump but it still swirls around and when I throtttle it up the water spins around good and fast.So maybe I can just keep an eye on it till next year and replace it for next spring?:bonk:

The Hedgehog
06-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Why wait. You got a nice expensive engine on that boat. I would pull the impeller to have a look. There is a chance that you burned or broke off some of the impeller blades. If so, they are probably lodged in the oil cooler. You will want to know about that for obvious reasons. You got plenty of room to work in your engine compartment so it is pretty easy to get at the sea water housing. Heck, I would buy an impeller and a spare to keep around.

Donzigo
06-28-2006, 09:22 AM
FR, you won't be able to wait unti next spring, if the impeller is indeed broken. Your sea strainer isn't the problem or the answer to you issue. You MUST take a look at the impellor. I keep extran impellers for both enignes and alsoI keep an extra jabso water pump kit complete with housing, in my shop. I can change the entire pump in under 1 hour and there is "no joy" in having a water pump go down on you, when you wnat to go boating.

Do the right thing and attend to this the right way..........it's very $$$$$ to let it go.

Donzigo
06-28-2006, 09:22 AM
FR, you won't be able to wait unti next spring, if the impeller is indeed broken. Your sea strainer isn't the problem or the answer to you issue. You MUST take a look at the impellor. I keep extran impellers for both enignes and alsoI keep an extra jabso water pump kit complete with housing, in my shop. I can change the entire pump in under 1 hour and there is "no joy" in having a water pump go down on you, when you wnat to go boating.
Do the right thing and attend to this the right way..........it's very $$$$$ to let it go.

glashole
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
i had an impellor go on me at the dust-off and had to be towed in ( thanks again Ken) besides the time to sit quietly and enjoy some boat sodas its not as fun as it sounds ( I think a snail boat passed us :boat: )

I was able to change the impellor ( the kit was $100) in about 1/2hour and it was my first time

change it to be sure and back flush the system so -as to not screw up your boat

I have also had a boat overheat :bonk: and crack the heads which again is not as much fun as it sounds

regards

Shea

Digger
06-30-2006, 09:40 AM
don't gamble. check it now!

RedDog
06-30-2006, 07:56 PM
don't gamble. check it now!

yep - I toasted an impellor after I picked up a submerged trash bag. When I back-flushed the lines / oil cooler several chunks of the damaged impellor flushed out. Its easy to back flush. In the 22 it wasn't really too bad to replace the impellor and housing. In a single 28 it should be a piece of cake.

Air 22
07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Madpoodle and others are right on...pull that impeller, B4 u do try to collect all the water from the impeller hose supply lines(and any other hoses u dissconnect) in a bucket etc to look for possible impeller chunks/pieces. Inspect impeller by pulling it all the way out of housing...look for pieces missing and/or cracks in and along the rubber blades. If u have pieces missing and u cannot find them to reconstruct the impeller they are most likely in your engine and or oil cooler sys.. Back flushing the engine is a good way to remove small chunks/pieces. A garden hose wide open usually has enough psi to do this. Did u happen to notice how high your eng temp got?? That is another possible prob down the road u might want to run that by your mechanic to b safe. Impeller inspection/replacement is much easier and less costly than running the boat guessing:bonk: Do yourself a favor...Just replace it(the entire assembly) dude and speak to your mechanic about your overheat!:wink: Don't just replace the rubber impleller as the plastic cases wear. A new impeller in an old plastic housing works for a quick fix but the impellers effectiveness is reduced substatially and you don't want any reductiuon in h20:wink:

ps lubercate the new impeller b4 installing in new housing as it wont be wet on start-up...

Donzigo
07-02-2006, 06:05 AM
FYI: After installing the new impeller and or Jabso unit, you might want to consider this. Most impellers go bad on the first turn of the engine after sitting for a long time. I always pre-lube my impeller after a long sit, by putting JOY inside the hose ald running the engine for just a minute or two, to lube the impeller for that fist turn of the engine.

Yeah, I'm excentric...........and what's your point............:yes: