PDA

View Full Version : Finally mounted the extension box...

Jamesbon
06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
I just had a week long vacation and managed to squeeze in one day of work on the GT. In a nutshell, I bought a bunch of stainless 1/2" bolts, 4 tubes of Permatex black RTV sealant and a roll of high quality masking tape for mounting the extension box. Basically, I bolted everything up and tightened her down, then laid down the masking tape about 1/32" from the edge of the mounting surfaces. Once taped up, I removed the box and wedge, cleaned everything with acetone and applied the RTV sealant. Once I had a good bead laid down, I carefully slid the wedge on the studs, then the extension box and tightened everything up. Any sealant that oozed out I simply filleted with my finger. After about a half hour when the RTV was starting to cure, I pulled the tape up. There was no clean up or touch up of the RTV since the excess was removed with the tape. I have to admit, I was impressed with the results. Very clean and uniform.

Sorry for the low quality pics....all I had was my camera phone with me...

I'm dying to get this thing done......I keep eyeing up 22 Classics....

Hopefully it will be crappy Sunday, if so, I'll head back out and mount the drive and drop the engine in....

boldts
06-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Nate - Man that looks very cool! Your going to have an awesom GT-21 when you get her done. The extension box is to allow the room for a transmission or just to put the prop further back?

I was following CDMA's Arneson instalation on a 22 Classic. Anyone know if he was able to complete his project?

Cuda
06-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Looking good Nate. The masking tape deal is exactly what we do if we have to leave a silicon expansion joint in a floor.

Mr X
06-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Nice Nate,
I just came in from doing the same thing myself!
Looks like the race is on......
Poodle, I'll take that bet! :wink:

Cuda
06-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I'd have to bet on Mr X. Nate was on that project before I was ever on donzi.net!:eek!:

Mr X
06-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Nothing gets past the Poodlemiester....:bonk:

Ed Donnelly
06-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Nate; The hard work is done.. Now get her finished..Wonder how the Criterion would handle with the Arneson??....Ed

DONZI
06-25-2006, 05:17 AM
Look's great !
Is the Wedge an Arneson item or something that had to be fabricated ?
Do you think one should be used on a 22 C ?

Jamesbon
06-25-2006, 09:10 AM
boldts,
Thanx Scott. The box in theory is used to keep the engine in the same place when converting from a Bravo. I was also told that it would keepo the C.G. nearer to the transom because the engine didn't have to be relocated forward.

Last I heard CDMA was having his boat sent down here.....

Poodle,
LOL! You're only motivating me....again....and again......and again....I won't give you a fourth year :wink:

Thanks Cuda! It works like a charm. Saw it on Ship Shape TV where they installed an outboard bracket.

"I'd have to bet on Mr X. Nate was on that project before I was ever on donzi.net!" LMAO! Nice one Joe!

Mr.X.,
Looks great Captain, par for your course. Yes, the race is on!

Poodle,
Absolutely no room for a drain hole in the typical location. I'll either put one directly in the bottom of the hull just forward of the harmonic balancer or none at all. Will most likely mount a very small pump against the transom in the bottom of the bilge for this purpose. (and a larger automatic one too)

Ed,
Thanx! I bet the Criterion would take well to a # 6 ASD.

DONZI,
That wedge was an extremely sore subject at one time but that's all water under the bridge now. I fabricated it out of glass and wood, then had Arneson Industries mill out the wood and fill with glass. It's necessary to achieve the correct drive height/angle when mated to the box and transom. It is a one off item. I have to admit, when I look at it sometimes I can't believe I made it.

With the proper box dimensions/angles, the wedge should not be necessary.

Well looks like it's going to be a crappy day....we're off to the mall to buy some panties & bra's....then over to the shop to do some more tinkering. :propeller: Will post more pics later on.....

Ed Donnelly
06-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Are you saying you are going to post pics of you in your new panties and bra?
Have to stay tuned for that.:eek!: ..Ed

Mr X
06-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks Nate!
I think Poodle was talking about my hole.......hmmm, that does'nt sound right....:lookaroun

BigGrizzly
06-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Nate it looks great. We all want to see this done and running. Looks great so far, we are all jealous.

MOP
06-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Nate I am getting greyer:eek!: your on a roll keep cracken:wrench: :smash: Prove Poodle wrong:garfield:

The Hedgehog
06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Nice Nate,
I just came in from doing the same thing myself!
Looks like the race is on......
Poodle, I'll take that bet! :wink:

Hmmm. A few lines running through the exhaust port. Looks like something fun and different.

Speed-Racer
06-26-2006, 08:45 PM
yeaaaa...I'm working backwards here:bonk:

Mr X
06-26-2006, 08:51 PM
That is going to give me nightmares tonight!! Deja Vu

rustnrot
06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Two sets of twins, er, ah, I mean Four sets of Twins???