PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Rare 1970 Cobalt XV-200 (pics)

Craig
06-22-2006, 06:13 AM
These are pics to accompany ad by same name.

Here's a link to the original ad: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45277

Craig
06-24-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a few more pictures than these if interested. Didn't want to hog up too much space with too many pics.

Hey for those of you guys who were of aware these boats (many past discussions on the site), here's an interesting addition to the story.

As many of you knew (and those who didn't can see by the pics) the XV-200 Cobalt was a Donzi Sweet 16 (or "Ski Sporter") copy. There was also a GT-500 boat that was a copy of the Donzi Corsican.

In past discussions I had mentioned and shown art rendered catalog pics from a 1969 catalog that detailed these boats, but additionally included an 18' boat called the XV-500 that was a copy of the Donzi 18-2+3 as well as a boat simply called the Cobalt 23' which was copy of the Donzi 7 meter.

I had thought right along, based on the Cobalts I've found over the years being only XV-200's and GT-500's, that the XV-500 and Cobalt 23' had never made it to production due to the circumstances of their copying the Donzi's.

Well apparently I was wrong. The owner of the XV-200 (in the pics and the seperate ad) was talking to me about the old catalog and I assumed it was the same one I had (with the art rendered pics), but as they described it, we figured out that our catalogs were different. Cobalt had one more catalog with all these boats in them the following year (1970) with actual photographs of them all. They sent me a copy to verify. So now that I've seen that brochure with actual photos, I can confirm that there is (was) at least one XV-500 and one Cobalt 23' (copies of the Donzi 18' and the Donzi 7 meter, respectively)! Not just drawings, but real boats.

Pretty cool stuff to my great surprise!

Craig
06-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Okay - here's some "photos" from the other catalog (mentioned above) in response to the many e-mail inquiries.
Those who have seen the 1970 Powerboat Mag. article (link this site: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1795&highlight=Cobalt) will recognize the same driver from the article photo shoot is in the brochure cover picture.
Also added the Cobalt 23 (which copied the Donzi 7 meter) and a photo of the Donzi 7 Meter (that I think I got on this site) for comparison.
Also added a recent (March 2005) Boating World Magazine Classic Boat article (by Lee Wangstad) that reviewed the XV-200.

Craig
07-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Owner requested that I drop the price down to $8,500.00

Own a "one of only forty" in existence piece of marine history!

Priced for quick sale.

Craig
08-13-2006, 07:36 AM
$8,500.00