PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cutout Problem

RvR
06-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I have had an apparent fuel problem three times this season. The first time was Memorial Day weekend on the Hudson. Cruising along at 3200 RPM the engine suddenly slowed down as if pulling back on the throttle and stopped. It started again and then stalled, waited 5 min and it started up and ran fine the rest of the day.

The following morning I started up at the dock and ran for about 5 min when it stalled and wouldn’t start for about 10 min, starting fluid finally got it going. Ran fine all day again.

It’s not running hot (140 ish) and up to that time at least hadn’t seen any ethanol. Has always had ½ a tank or more when it happened. I replaced the gas filter and, although it had a little dirt in it, it didn’t look bad. Vent on the tank seems to be clear as well. Acts a lot like vapor lock but I don’t see why that would suddenly become a problem.

Finally last Sunday it happened again out in Boston harbor although it did start right back up this time and ran fine back to the launch ramp.

1994, 16 w/ 4.3L

Any suggestions, a known problem with a simple fix, hope…hope?

onesubdrvr
06-21-2006, 08:25 PM
I have had an apparent fuel problem three times this season. The first time was Memorial Day weekend on the Hudson. Cruising along at 3200 RPM the engine suddenly slowed down as if pulling back on the throttle and stopped. It started again and then stalled, waited 5 min and it started up and ran fine the rest of the day.
The following morning I started up at the dock and ran for about 5 min when it stalled and wouldn’t start for about 10 min, starting fluid finally got it going. Ran fine all day again.
It’s not running hot (140 ish) and up to that time at least hadn’t seen any ethanol. Has always had ½ a tank or more when it happened. I replaced the gas filter and, although it had a little dirt in it, it didn’t look bad. Vent on the tank seems to be clear as well. Acts a lot like vapor lock but I don’t see why that would suddenly become a problem.
Finally last Sunday it happened again out in Boston harbor although it did start right back up this time and ran fine back to the launch ramp.
1994, 16 w/ 4.3L
It could be ALOT of things

1) Crud in fuel tank, getting lodged in pick-up, or at tank ball valve, or similar, and when engine shuts down, and pump looses suction, back to the tank it goes

2) Some carbs (along with the inline fuel filter), have a screen where the tube attaches to the carb. You have to remove the line, and then the fitting, and it's behind the fitting.

3) at 12 years old, could just need a carb rebuild / cleaning / adjustment.

I don't imagine it's anything real big, but crud in the fuel tanks could really suck.

Best of luck, keep us informed!!
Wayne

RvR
06-22-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks Wayne, I’ll check for that second filter/strainer.

Roy

Speed-Racer
06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Hmmm electric fuel pump.....

mrfixxall
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
1994, 16 w/ 4.3L

RVR do you havw a carter 4v on the 4.3? If so their are screens on the needle and seats inside the carb that get plugged you need to take the top of the carb off to clean them....

RvR
06-23-2006, 07:18 PM
It is a 4brl, but all the parts list say it should be a Weber.

I hate low frequency failures they are so darn hard to trouble shoot. If it is the fuel pump I have no idea how to reproduce it to verify the problem.

Regards,

Roy

mrfixxall
06-24-2006, 01:15 AM
It is a 4brl, but all the parts list say it should be a Weber.
I hate low frequency failures they are so darn hard to trouble shoot. If it is the fuel pump I have no idea how to reproduce it to verify the problem.
Regards,
RoyWEbber and carter look the same..i would almost be certain that the little screens on the needle and seats are most likely plugged up with fuel filter materal....ive seen this alot on those carbs...em me and ill give you a step by step instructions on how to fixx it...
md