PDA

View Full Version : Finally had it running...

BodyByJake
06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Then my engine made a weird wirl spin noise like my prop came off, but it didn't. Then engine would still rev up, but no movement on the prop? Is this just my hub, and if so is it that hard to change? 7.4 lt V8

Anybody?

BodyByJake
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Yes thats exactly what it did! I didn't smell rubber though. Maybe it was becasue I was giving it so much gas:bonk: JK Thanks.. If I got a manual it should be pretty easy then?

Kirk
06-21-2006, 03:40 PM
From what you have described it sounds like a coupler like Matty said.

However....what was your oil pressure and temp. when the boat was running at temp? What drive do you have Volvo, Merc etc.

If the coupler does need to be replaced than the engine has to come out. I would use ARP bolts for both the flywheel & coupler. If you have a volvo drive the coupler cost is around $100.00 and the ARP bolts might run you $50.00.

Total time if you have the knowledge and tools is an afternoon. If friends and beer are involved then it might take alittle longer.

KJ

mrfixxall
06-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Like matty said if the coupler went you would smell rubber..if you have a merc drive take off the prop and check to see if it has a plastic insert in the peopeller..that plastic hub will brake if the prop hits somthing...you can also put it into gear with the engine NOT running and turn the prop which will turn the drive to see if the coupler is spun...

MOP
06-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Start with pulling the prop examine the thrust washer if the props hub has spun the mating lip of the thrust washer is usualy shiney as the washer stay put on the spines and the prop rubs on the washer. Also look for evidence of rubber coming out if the back side of the hub, if all that looks Ok then the engines coupler may have let go. That is also simple to check out, take white out and mark the coupler and the shaft "in the water" start the engine put it in gear then shut it down to see if the marks still match up.

Phil