PDA

View Full Version : Deck's off the 22

Cuda
06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure I posted this a couple weeks ago, might have gotten lost in the tranfer to the new server. Anyway, I've got some updates.

Mike called me and wanted me to come down and look at my split boat. I was afraid he had bad juju to show me, but everything looks good. He said the tank wasn't leaking either, but I told him to go ahead and change it anyway. The stringers all look good, as a matter of fact, most of them look brand new. He found one spot where the tabbing on a bulkhead broke loose, so they are going to fix that. The only other thing he found is where the bow eye was about to pull through the block there. He's going to put a pieced of aluminum stock there to fix that. I don't know why Donzi didn't do that in the first place. The tank is 53 gallons, made by Florida Tanks. Other than the bow eye, and the broke tab, he found nothing else that needed tended to. That was a relief! He's going to fix my cracks on the deck, now that I look at them, they aren't very big at all, or much of them. I had just glanced at them once before, then pulled the carpet back over it. He showed me why it cracked. It was similar to why gcarter's cracked, but instead of blocks of 2x4's, they had used a series of wood wedges, exactly like you'd use to wedge up a cabinet or something, coated in fiberglass. He said he's going to do something similar to gcarter's fix. He's going to put either and alumium L, or a piece of wood along the stringer, and then use some kind of putty so it pushes down to fit the deck perfectly. He said it depends on how long it takes to get the new tank before it's done. He said sometimes it's two weeks, other times it's four weeks.

Cuda
06-21-2006, 11:02 AM
I stopped by the BH today. They have the old tank out. Believe it or not, it didn't look bad at all for being 24 years old.

Cuda
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
They glassed in that busted gusset to the bulkhead. They also put that piece of aluminum stock at the bow eye.

Cuda
06-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Here's a picture of those wedges they used to support the deck.:rolleyes:

Cuda
06-21-2006, 11:12 AM
They are waiting for the tank from RDS. The main reason I stopped by was to tell them to hold off on putting the deck back on, because I might be doing a heart transplant.:crossfing :cool: :wink:

If I do the heart transplant, what color should I have the bilge painted?

I hope to know by this evening if it's a done deal. :)

Cuda
06-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I just got off the phone with the guy selling the engine I want. He bought them to put in his boat, then he decided to trade his boat in, so he was going to sell the engines. Now it seems the negotiations with his deal aren't going well, so he's not sure if he's going to sell them now or not. I'll know in a week or so. :(

I'm eat up to get it now.

gcarter
06-21-2006, 02:56 PM
If I do the heart transplant, what color should I have the bilge painted?

White Bilgekote!!!!!!
Nothing else looks as sanitary!!:)

Cuda
06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Debbie will hate having to keep that white clean, because I'm damn sure not dealing with white! The yellow stuff on my Formula is bad enough. :(

Dr. Dan
06-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Debbie will hate having to keep that white clean, because I'm damn sure not dealing with white! The yellow stuff on my Formula is bad enough. :(

:cool!: Joe

I spray my white bilge with the "Roll Off " Solution and it hoses out beautifully...once a year I do a slight touch up as needed... it looks awesome...and it cleans well. I have spilled oil and it sprays right out...stubborn stuff I take it to a pressure wash at the car wash and Bingo...sparkling clean... INTERLUX Bilge Kote in White... there is no substitute.

Project looks great... good luck on the engine...if that deals falls thru... find another ... there are plenty out there.

Nice Job!

Doc :smash:

Eugene Nahemow
06-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Joe,

Definitely white Bilge Kote.

I also remember seeing someone doing some diamond plate in the engine compartment which looked killer.

Cuda
06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Joe,
Definitely white Bilge Kote.
I also remember seeing someone doing some diamond plate in the engine compartment which looked killer.
Funny you mentioned that. Just this morning Debbie said something about diamond plate in there. :)

Cuda
06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
I just dropped off the rear bottom seat to have a new one made. This one didn't have a tear in it. I was working on the motor, so I took the seat out so I wouldn't get it dirty. My damn three legged dog jumped on it and tore a couple seams. :(

Eugene Nahemow
06-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Joe,
Here is a link to post regarding diamond plate.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1595&highlight=diamond+plate

I also believe Ted aka MrX aka HP500 aka HP600 :wink: had a lead on some flexible diamond plate. I remember he had diamond plate in his 22 also.

Cuda
06-22-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw colored diamond plate at Farco Plastics in Orlando. Debbie said she is pretty sure she saw it there too.

sweet 16 1966
06-22-2006, 05:44 PM
WoW, Go Joe! You are going to have one fine boat!
I like it!

Cuda
07-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, the guy that had the two Hp500's for sale, couldn't make the deal with the boat he was wanting to buy, so he's keeping his boat, and putting the Hp's in this winter. :(

Guess I'll just stick with the trusty 330 back in, maybe put the new exhaust on it, and wait to find another deal on a blue motor.

Sagbay32
07-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Joe,
Thanks for posting the progress and pics. It is cool to see how it is done in case I ever have to do a deck off resto. Too bad about the HP500. Maybe something will pop up. I see them on Ebay from time to time.

Mike

Cuda
07-03-2006, 09:03 AM
The guy just called me this morning that has the Hp's. The deal may still go through. He said it would be easier for him to sell them both (he has two).

Hint Hint. :)

60 hours, never taken apart, SM exhaust.
$7500

Cuda
07-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Pictures of the Hp 500.

BUIZILLA
07-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Cuda, you have a PM... :wink:

JH

Greg Maier
07-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Cuda,

You seem to have a very lightly built hull. My Blackhawk has nine gussets on each side (the fact that they are half rotten is a different story). No wonder that you cracked a gusset. If I were you, before I put that deck back on, I would put some reinforcements in place.

Cuda
07-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I stopped in today to check on progress. They have the tank in. They foamed it in, and it has six tabs to hold it in place. The original tank only had two tabs. The pickup tube is larger, and it will be plumbed with half inch pipe back to the fuel pump, in case I get a bigger engine. I stopped at the upholstery shop to check on my rear seat bottom. He hadnn't started it yet, but the material is there, and he says he'll do it tomorrow.