PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 350 Mag, laser II

hyperlite98
06-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Has anyone tried a Laser II on a 300HP Classic 18? Can anyone tell me what I could expect from this prop?

thanks,

Jeff

mrfixxall
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
i had two on my formula,they seened to get the ole slug on plane faster..if the prop has the holes at the base of the prop i suggest plugging the holes so the prop dont cavitate and it will slip like crazy..

smokediver
06-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I really liked the prop on my 16 with the V-6 . Then with the V-8 i bought a labbed 27 .. and it is ok but I tried a 25 mirage plus and it gave me the same speed at lower rpm's and way better handling . I think because there just isn't enough blade area with the laser2 with that kind of horsepower . the mirage plus has a much better slip ratio and better midrange acceleration . I have yet to try a turbo but i like the mirage plus on my boat .

LKSD
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
I ran a ballistic & was very happy with it when I had my 18. I now run one on my 22 and Im still happy.. ( I use a mirage + for back up.. I have also tried the turbos which are made well, but they just dont suit my fast driving habits.) Jamie.. :)

hyperlite98
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Jamie,

What size ballistic did you have on your 18?

thanks,

Jeff

LKSD
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi Jamie,
What size ballistic did you have on your 18?
thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
I ran a 350 MAG MPI A1G2 1.62Ratio with a 25p 14.25x25p attwood ballistic prop. If you have a 1.50 ratio a 23p or 21p would probably work better. :) Jamie

BigGrizzly
06-23-2006, 08:06 PM
If I were you I would try a turbo lightning or a TXP. I never had good luck with a balistic, besides fir me they don't make one big enough for my boat. JW liked it on his boats but frankly he is the only one who had good lugk with it. at my company American Honda Marine we tried every prop and manufacture that was made because we would market it under our logo of as an approved accessory but only a few companied panned out and they were not one of them. My suggestion is get a good GPS and borrow several props and go out and test. Prime example Smoke had a labbed 27 and a stock marage pluss gave the same top end at fewer RPMs. To really answer the question you asked on the laserII. It needs to be tried because I don't remember anyone that tried it on your combination. The laserII is fairly new and people are happy with what they have. In case you havn't noticed everyone likes the prop they have now. How many people really have tested with a GPS with mor than 6 props. I have, because I was lucky we have more than 150 different props on hand from almost evey manufacturer weather it is Mercury, Michican Wheel, Turbo, Solas, Power tech, Ross,etc. yet I can only tell you to test it on YOUR boat. At Cunberland they tested Presision props One guy gained 4 MPH on his 16 but some didn't have the same results but at least they now Know what will work and what won't. I have no less than 15 different props on my 22 and three work well most of the rest not so well and one bad. What drive do you have an alpha, Bravo or other- it does make a difference which prop will work better

younger
06-24-2006, 08:43 PM
On my 16 I am currently running laserII 19" with 1.32 gears, spinning 5400prm. Just for comparisons sake, I've run mirage plus, stilleto, qss merc. For me the laser works the best! The prop is designed provides bow lift which works for me. Grab your laser and let her fly.