PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 26ZX, its a dog

Donzi22zx
06-21-2006, 06:11 AM
I love my Donzi 26ZX, it rides great, has plenty of room for a 26ft boat, but its slow. My boat is running 63.9 mph on GPS, at 4700-4800 rpm and that is at the 5-6 trim position. It has a 496 MAG HO motor with 200 hours on it. The boat has K-planes, will that slow it down? Has anyone used a Pro Charger on a 496 with good results. I have CMI headers and no mufflers on the boat already( no change in speed), I just think the boat is too heavy to make fast, any thoughts are app.

Digger
06-21-2006, 06:18 AM
I've watched 26ZX's run quite a bit and have a few passenger hrs. Nice soft ride but either the CG is too far forward or the CB is too far aft. Seems bow heavy to me no matter what the trim settings. K-planes won't slow you down... unless you trim them down. Boat is not too heavy to make it fast... You can make a brick go fast if you put enough hp on it. I'm sure you could get good results with a blower.

Mr X
06-21-2006, 07:20 AM
That is about the best you will see on it.
65.2 is the best I have ever seen on one.

Dr. Dan
06-21-2006, 07:43 AM
:smash: Frank Civitano is the resident Zx Expert...he runs one now... and if I recall just put some more ponies in it. Shanghied Again is his name and he is a super knowledgeable resource for a wide variety of boats. Shoot him a private message... he will get back to you or he might see this thread?

Good Luck

Doc :wink:

Shanghied Again
06-21-2006, 08:06 AM
The 26ZX is built on the same platform as the 28ZX: Weight is a big factor on the 26ZX with a bravo 1 24 Pitch she should run 65mph, When i was in sarasota I was able to get 68mph out of mine, Water is a factor two the more brackish or fresh the slower the boat will be. I had a Bravo 26 Pitch made by Throttle up cut to a 25 and labbed. My boat at that point ran 67 mph solid. I have a bigger motor going in my boat, I haven't done it yet because of health reasons my boat is still dry docked. I expect to see mid 70s to low 80s. As far as a ride the 26ZX is one awesome boat, I have ran down and passed. 25 Outlaws, 27 and 29 Fountains, 26 Sonic, 26 velocity even though he was faster he couldn't handle rough water, Boxy was with me on 1000 Islands Poker Run and none of the smaller boats could keep up with us.

undertaker
06-21-2006, 09:03 AM
I love my Donzi 26ZX, it rides great, has plenty of room for a 26ft boat, but its slow. My boat is running 63.9 mph on GPS, at 4700-4800 rpm and that is at the 5-6 trim position. It has a 496 MAG HO motor with 200 hours on it. The boat has K-planes, will that slow it down? Has anyone used a Pro Charger on a 496 with good results. I have CMI headers and no mufflers on the boat already( no change in speed), I just think the boat is too heavy to make fast, any thoughts are app.

Bill, do you have any pics of the CMI'S...just curious:crossfing IMO you are going to need to put some serious horsepower in that boat in order to run speeds you were telling my dad... Good luck, next time I am down at my Dad's I will give ya a run in my 22 classic hope you can keep up......:wink: :wink:

Undertaker:pimp:

The Hedgehog
06-21-2006, 09:30 AM

The boat is heavy but has a good hull. You can play around with props and get a few more mph out of it. If you really want to boogy then you will need some serious hp. Some of the older 496's have been blown without problems. Jamie at Lakeside will know what can be done to your motor. Other than that you should look at the 496 packages from Raylar.

Make sure that you do the engine first then the prop.

LKSD
06-22-2006, 07:56 AM
I can Procharge the engine if its an early 04 or prior.. Otherwise I would suggest a Raylar kit, or a new custom engine to name a few options.. What ever you choose we are capable of doing for you.. What it really comes down to is how much you are willing to invest to go fast.. As we all know the sky is the limit if the wallet allows..
I too have run the Zx's. The 26 is a great boat. The power is what you will need to get your speed up.. I have supercherged Zx's before with great results.. Dialing in a prop will help but only so much. To see a significant increase in speed you will need to up the hp more than just the headers. Feel Free to call me & we can talk about what options may be best for you.. :) Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628