PDA

View Full Version : whats so bad with omc drive

ibanez45
06-19-2006, 11:29 PM
my dad has boating all his life and has this sorta grudge agaist omc drives. is there really such a bad thing about them or is he just dumb?

thanks in advance

gcarter
06-20-2006, 05:21 AM
Even if your dad is completely wrong, he's never dumb, just mis-guided.

florida gator
06-20-2006, 06:54 AM
I haven't had any real problems with my drive. I have been told it is getting dificult to find parts if needed but I haven't needed yet.

LKSD
06-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Some of the early stuff like the stringer drives was a neat idea, but a PITA to do some things on.. Like impellers for 1... Other than that their drives weren't bad per say but latley parts have been more of an issue. Also Merc had the majority of the market for performance boats.. J

DudeHoss
06-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Its funny you say that! My dad is the same way about OMC. In my search for a 22 Classic one of my requirements is that it has to have a Mercruiser. With that said there are also a few years we won't consider because the Bravo was junk at first. The only bullet proof outdrive in his opinion is the Mercruiser TRS drive. That’s what we put on our cigarette. Everyone that we have known with OMC have spent plenty of time and money on engine and outdrive repairs. Articles I have read say the King Cobra setup can't handle a lot of power and if they have problems are normally more expensive to fix. I'm not trying to dog on OMC but I've never been beat on the water by an OMC.

undertaker
06-20-2006, 08:40 AM
Its funny you say that! My dad is the same way about OMC. In my search for a 22 Classic one of my requirements is that it has to have a Mercruiser. With that said there are also a few years we won't consider because the Bravo was junk at first. The only bullet proof outdrive in his opinion is the Mercruiser TRS drive. That’s what we put on our cigarette. Everyone that we have known with OMC have spent plenty of time and money on engine and outdrive repairs. Articles I have read say the King Cobra setup can't handle a lot of power and if they have problems are normally more expensive to fix. I'm not trying to dog on OMC but I've never been beat on the water by an OMC.

Guess you have not met or ran with Dr. Dan...:pimp: :pimp:

Undertaker:yes: :bonk:

joel3078
06-20-2006, 09:22 AM
FACT - the real king cobra drive is good for at least 600hp. I have one and have read over and over this rating. Go find yourself people that have blown up a king cobra outdrive. Have, fun, you wont find very many. The basic Merc bravo drive is not rated or good for that much hp. If you are over 400hp, you probably are not stock from the factory anymore are you. The bottom line is the early OMC products and the basic cobra drive were not built real heavy duty. Think of them to be something more like an alpha drive. The bigger king cobra drive was a joint venture project with Volvo and the current Volvo SX drive looks quite a bit like a king cobra. Come to think of it, ya don't here much about SX drives being a problem either. Merc has a great racing program that OMC and Volvo don't have. That is yet another reason the mercs are so popular. OMC parts are getting more scarce.

Oh ya, and as far as getting beat on the water by an OMC product, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. On fathers day, I saw two "hot boats" racing accross the water as I am going opposite directions to them. They went by me, I did a U turn, and eventually passed both of them. My boat is a stock 24' Donzi Black Widow - 454 with king cobra goods. Their boats were about the same size Bajas. I don't think Baja's like the 4-6 foot chop we were flying through. I'll bet the Bajas had Bravo drives. This is one of the many reasons we love our Donzi's. There built like tanks and don't fall apart when the going gets tough.

Morgan's Cloud
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
harhar ... out here that's what people ask about the 'black' units ....

blackhawk
06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with joel3078, a KC drive is tough! I have some friends with 4winns Liberators and KC drives. They all have big blocks and do hammer down holeshots! :eek!: The only probelems any of them have had was the impeller. Great drives IMO.

joel3078
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm finding that out more. A bunch of big cruiser boats had the king cobra setup back in the 90's. I'm thinking the king cobra was marketed more as a tough drive vs. a gofast speed boat drive. They are still running strong from what I am hearing. Usually the boat wore out before the outdrive did.

The impellor is simple to changeout. This is another feature of the great minds from volvo and omc think tank study joint venture, blah blah, that got designed in. There is a cover on the outside of the drive you take off. Pop a new rubber wheel impeller in, reinstall cover, and your good to go. Reminds me, I should do this to mine just for proactive maintenance sake.

MOP
06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
The late series OMC drives are a good product, only down fall can be parts down the road. The early "No Hump" Kings were not much better then the standard bottom shifter just had up graded gears and shafts, the late hump style guts are a direct Volvo design and very tough. Not to leave out the lare OMC bottom shifter it is a fair bit stronger then even the latest Alphas, don't let anyone BS you about the later models they are doing very well.

Phil

joel3078
06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Look for a later model king cobra design with a hump in the upper part of the top gearcase. The regular cobras and early kings were flat accross the top. The hump was made to house the bigger/tougher volvo gear set.

Ibanez makes dang nice guitars by the way. :yes: www.ibanez.com

EricG
06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
My father has the same opinion of the OMC drives...which I know dates back to the pre cobra drives...you know, the cool ones that disconnected the drive shaft from the transom assembly and left a big hole below the waterline (I hope the seals are good) when you raised the drive :bonk: .

I would have no problems buying a boat with a King Cobra...but I think OMC will always have that "stigma" from the earlier years.

It's very similar to the "Harley" stigma, even though the recent bikes are increadibly reliable, they still carry this stereotype that they will spend more time in the shop than on the road...

EG

joel3078
06-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Go figure, I have 2 Harleys also. I agree with you Eric, the crap from the old days has left a permanent stain in the preverbal porcelain bowl. Reminds me of a joke.
Q: How do you know when you are at a biker bar?
A: Look for the 50 thousand oil spots out front.

need for speed
06-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I had a OMC king cobra drive same drive as Dr Dan... great drive it never let me down!!!