PDA

View Full Version : What way do I turn for this.

OKII
06-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Long story short. I have my 02 22 Classic 496HO running a 2 inch Imco Lower unit. I have tried several props, from a local guy, a 27.2 labbed spinelli (4 blade), ran 75 and was hitting the rev limiter with more power to go,
I have tried a couple bravo's which I did not like. I tried my 25 p mirage plus, rev limiter and disliked handling.
Then I talked with Throttle Up, Julie set me up with a 4 blade 28p Hydromotive Quad IV. This ran the boat @ 74.9 full tank, 75% humidity going with 15 mph wind @ 4750-4800 rpm's WOT. The handling was beautiful, I couuld literally take my hands off wheel at 70+MPH (Spinelli prop was very similar.) My problem, is that I think I can get a little more MPH, but I also love the stability at higher end speeds not sure where to turn on prop. RTSE has a 28 TXP I'm wondering if thats the right move for me as well considerning I have shorty as well . Any advice would be appreciated
And thank you in advance.!:wink: -John

roadtrip se
06-19-2006, 09:54 PM
John, you are welcome to try my TXP at the 1000 Islands rally.

It has the square hub insert, so you can put yours in and give it a whirl.

Now, I wonder what she would do with the shortie and the CMI 496 HO headers?

roadtrip se
06-20-2006, 07:13 AM
talk to julie about taking some diameter off of that big QIV... "labbing" it should also get you a bit of what you are looking for but of course ANY work you have done to the prop negates the warranty...

Roots, I wouldn't mess with the Hydro 28 Q4, based on my experience with it on the shortie. Maybe, thin the blades a little, but that is about it. I turn mine 77-78 at 52-5300, so he is right in the sweet spot for this prop, if you look at the 45HP difference between the HO and the 500. Mine is labbed. I also think the shortie setup does better with the big diameter stuff, based on my testing.

Now the fedex boys are supposed to bring me a hydro p5 26 today or tomorrow. I have been a fan of this prop since it came out, but wasn't going to spend $1000-1500 for it. Makes the boat run like a slot car on rails and the acceleration in the midrange just rocks. It never ends...

OKII
06-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks guys for the info. Julie sait my slip percentage was 11 percent, she suggested that I try a 27p hydro QIV, she also said this will not increase speed (maybe 1/2 mph) but will get that extra 200 rpm, to get to 4950-5000. She mentioned it may not be a good idea for labbing because I run the St lawrence which has debris flowing through it at times. Do you think trying a 27p QIV will help any way at all? :confused:

OKII
06-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Todd- I'm gonna have to take you up on that offer to try your TXP is it a 4 blade, 0r 3 blade.- John

roadtrip se
06-22-2006, 08:06 AM
three blade. Darn close to the Mirage Plus in performance without all of the exciting handling surprises. You are welcome to try it.

I still think the Hydro q4 is the best four blade for my setup. I've got a 27 and 28. Unfortunately, they have the welded in hub for the XR. You are on the right track there. I would have thought you would be in a smaller pitch range, but everybody says the 496HO is a strong package. Goes to show ya!

See you in the Islands and I'll bring the arsenal.

OKII
06-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks Todd, that is very generous of you. I just found out that I will be able to make the weekend (part of it) I will be arriving Saturday AM from massacheusetts. Have to head to a wedding but just got the okay to leave early from my wife. Not sure why she is letting me, but I wont ask! SO thank you again for the advice, I recieved the 27p hydro today and I will be running it tomorrow evening/ sunday. I ll let you know how it works. Have a nice weekend!-John