PDA

View Full Version : F-166...Damn Donzi Raceboat

fasttrucker
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Was looking at boat trader on line,when I happened to run across an ad for this boat.HP500,speeds in the 80,s.Brick N.J.....$35,900.Is this the famous Damn Donzi? F-166.Frank did you drive in this?:boat:

The Hedgehog
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
The 80's with a 500 hp. That must be one stripped down boat. Texan talked to Donzi about that boat. They said that the light weight with the step hull combo made for some interesting times. Lot's of chine walking.

Tex got his stepped 27ZX to run 76 gps on relatively smooth water with a 500 EFI. He was running a racing prop (basically) that had other issues (mid range blowout among others). He seemed to think that the full hydraulic steering solved a bunch of chine walk issues. He was also running a 2" shorty. It would be interesting to see if it helps on the Damn Donzi. I have some pics of that boat and don't recall seeing the steering.

I read someone on OSO talking about a 1997 Non-step that was stripped down and had a really high x-dimension. He was claiming high 70's with a 500hp. I would like to know the story of that boat as well.

fasttrucker
06-20-2006, 04:53 PM
I think this might not be the boat for me.I just found it when doing a little homework,checking boat prices.Year was 1997 and it does say that it is a stepped hull.My 28zx hit 75gps earlyer in the season:cool!: .I noticed that it rides alot better/stable with a few riders in it.It starts to go side to side at top speed(chine walking)and I must keep my hand on the speed controls and just slow down a bit to stop that.:smash: I dont think my donzi would make a good race boat.:cool!:

The Hedgehog
06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
75 gps is moving. I have a Procharged 502 and I need a nice chop to get into the 70's. My boat is glued to the water on glassy days with 80+gallons and 4 passengers. Are you running external hydraulic steering?

undertaker
06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I will answer for fastrucker since I have seen his boat he is NOT running external steering....:)

Fastrucker what kind of GPS speeds have you seen later this season, just curious.....:yes: :yes: :yes:

Undertaker:boat:

The Hedgehog
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
That is boogying along for internal steering:bonk:

I drove Texan's ZX after he went full hydraulic. Very tight. It is only a matter of time for me!:happy_bi:

fasttrucker
06-25-2006, 08:23 AM
I will answer for fastrucker since I have seen his boat he is NOT running external steering....:)
Fastrucker what kind of GPS speeds have you seen later this season, just curious.....:yes: :yes: :yes:
Undertaker:boat:
I have a set of Drew Marine Sidewinders.(shocks)they are steering+Drive Stabilizers.They were used and cheap.They came off a boat that went to full hyd.............I had the bottom blueprinted and painted new imron.at art lillys................AND no noticable speed gain:( I started off this season in the cooler temps and got 75gps and now down to 71,72,73,:(

kw1605
06-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Was looking at boat trader on line,when I happened to run across an ad for this boat.HP500,speeds in the 80,s.Brick N.J.....$35,900.Is this the famous Damn Donzi? F-166.Frank did you drive in this?:boat:
its at lightning jacks in on rt 70 last time i saw it all it had was 3 bolsters and controls

The Hedgehog
06-25-2006, 09:09 PM
If ya want the best.. let me know :) :)

Latham...very nice!