PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about fuel lines

Rootsy
06-19-2006, 12:38 PM

John W
06-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I like the parker Blue fuel line with the re-usable brass ends. USCG approved and will last a long time. MAESCO in Jersey has the best prices.
JW

gcarter
06-19-2006, 02:00 PM
For my tank to filter, I replaced the original Aeroquip steel reinforced blue line w/swedged ends. The rest is black USCG approved rubber and copper fabricated pieces.

gcarter
06-19-2006, 03:37 PM
That seems about what I paid for mine. The other thing is it's not real installation friendly. I think it has a minimum bend radius of 6"-8".

Scott Pearson
06-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I use all Stainless lines. They worked out great.

Cuda
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Whoever owned the engine that I put in the Minx before I owned it, had cut the steel line, and installed a fuel pressure guage between the pump and the carb. I knew damn well that wasn't kosher, so I pulled it out, and figured I could use the braided fuel line with the a/n fitting from the engine I had just pulled out of the Minx. Wrong! The fact the engine in it now, won't let me run the fuel line in the same place due to the fact that that engine has closed cooling. :( I went to the only performance place I know of around here (Daytona, 25 miles away), to have a longer one made. Turns out they close at 1 pm on Saturday. I got there about 1:15. :( I went next door to Autozone, bought a 41 inch long steel fuel line, and a bending tool. I got in the boat and marked where I needed to make the first bend. I put it in the vise to hold it, since it's real hard to bend near the ends, and showed Debbie how the bending tool worked. I got back in the bilge, and marked where I needed the second bend, and handed it to Deb to bend, so I didn't have to crawl my old all out of the boat again. Apparently, she didn't take the lesson to well. She brought the line back to me with a kink in it. :( I had a picture of it, but I accidently deleted it.

Back to the drawing board. :(

Cuda
06-19-2006, 10:56 PM
I use all Stainless lines. They worked out great.
Do you have a picture of the tool you used to make the bends?

DonCig
06-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Jamie, I have about 2' of the Blue Aeroquip line that is brand new that I will donate to your cause for all the help that you have given me in building my engine.

PM me a delivery address.

I went the full -6 stainless braided Aeroquip route with Aeroquips fire sleeve (the orange outer sleeve) to keep fuel temps. as low as possible.

I would strongly reccomend using Aeroquip hose ends over Earl's and TRX and some of the other product out there. The Aeroquip does not cut the hose ID during assembly which reduces debris in the hose, it also makes removing and reinstalling a different end easier.

Here are some pictures of my layout.

Don

gcarter
06-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Don, that sure is a great looking engine. I'm envious.

Heard from Trueser?

DonCig
06-20-2006, 11:37 AM
George, thanks!

Trueser was in Vail Colorado this Tuesday am so he should pull into Powell around noon.

Mark and Polly Horne are in page Arizona getting ready to drop the boat in the water this afternoon.

Don

Scott Pearson
06-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Hardwall Stainless.

Cuda
06-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Hardwall Stainless.
What did you bend it with?

Cuda
06-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, after another $11 down the tubes, I've come to the fact this tubing bender is a pos! The first time, I bent the first bend in it, and Debbie watched. Then I got in the boat, and needed it bent a little bit more, and she brought it back kinked. :( Naturally, I figured she used the bending tool backwards. I just bought another line, and I tried to bend the 90 in it, and it kinked on me too! :mad:

John W
06-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Try filling the tube with sand before you bend it, it should help out with the kinks.
JW

FOSTER
06-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Have had real good luck with this one, spray contact points with WD40 or the like and never kinked a line yet.
Can't remember where I got it, Maybe Sears.

Forrest
06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Have had real good luck with this one, spray contact points with WD40 or the like and never kinked a line yet.
Can't remember where I got it, Maybe Sears.

I also have that same tubing bender. It seems to work very well on smaller size steel and copper, but I've never tried it on stainless tubing. It's made by Lisle Tools (http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=788) and is available at real auto supply houses.

Jamesbon
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Been there done that...trying to bend stainless hardwall. It worked after I heated it, but trying to flare it.....FORGET about it! I probably didn't have the appropriate flaring tool though. Chime in Pearson....you're on to something beyond my knowledge. Finally sold the 25' coil of stainless line on ebay and went to my local Goodyear shop and had them use the "blue USCG" approved 1/2" hose with their brass crimped on ends. Looks great and doesn't leak! (Although, I really think stainless, polished hardwall looks better) I think it was like 40 or 50 bucks for a couple feet with 2 ends crimped on. This piece went from the fuel pressure regulator to the carb. Hope this helps!