PDA

View Full Version : Finally...........

CHACHI
06-19-2006, 06:29 AM
.......took the "new" 22 out for its first real cruise. First, you better have some sort of eye protection, the Minx's windshield does lot better job of deflecting the wind blast. Throttle control is up too high (for me anyway), liked the position and the armrest of the Minx. So much for the negitives, borrowed a neighbors GPS and with the neighbor who is a svelt 275, and myself at 165, an indicated 1/2 tank of fuel, spinning a custom hammered Spinelli 4 blade of unknown pitch at 5000 RPM or so we laid down a first pass of 70+ MPH, second pass 72+. This was running in 1-2 foot chop on the St. Lawrence River. The boat does need a bit of trim now and then but no different from my Minx. Overall great. The 22 is about 10 MPH faster the Minx but what a difference in the sensation. Probally the wind blast. I also had the opportunity to test the low speed charateristics (sp) of the 22 as I towed in my neighbor for 6 miles who blew a sea water pump in his 22 Sea Ray crusier. My 22 is showing some soot on the transom so some where in the operating range it's running rich, perhaps a re-mapping of the ECU is in order. Oh, I forgot to mention it's a 454 MPI MAG. Ken

Tony
06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
AWESOME, Ken! The description you provided made me grin just reading it, and the numbers sound great as well. With the four-blade prop I'm guessing your mid-range is strong, too. The windshield on my 22' works fine for Cherrie (5'2"), but hits me square in the eyes. Gold-n-rod (Randy) from right here in Michigan bought a set of these (I think) and apparently loves them. I may be adding them to my boat, also: http://www.windaway.com/

Any progress selling the Minx? How does your bride like the new Donzi? With her manning the handheld GPS I would think you'd gain several mph because of the 175 lb. weight difference in your passengers!

:beer:

txtaz
06-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Oh Ken, If you want to get rid of that windshield for a bigger one, I want first dibs for my new 22. They don't make those anymore.

Glad to see Richards Double Duece is home and running. She is one sweet ride.

Wes

MOP
06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Ken now you see why I like my old 22 windshield with the stock deflectors, I am a few miles an hour slower but my hat stays on:garfield:

LKSD
06-20-2006, 07:06 AM
Ken,
I would not remap the ECM.... I would only recomend doing that with certain SC or blower installs or major internal engine upgrades like a cam, high comp pistons, worked heads, injectors etc.. Some suit is normal on the transom. The lighter & brighter the color of the boat the more you will notice it. It gets on there more it seems when idling for a while too... My 18 did it too.. The back would be white, I would go out & idle for 1-2 hrs out of the day cruising with my wife & the transom was dark gray.. My new 22' which is black hides it well though... (although with the prop testing & breaking in the engine I have not done much idling)..
Interlux boat soap works well for cleaning the boat & transom. It also leaves the wax on the boat & has wax in the cleaner as well... I use it on my cars too..
Jamie / Lakeside :)

undertaker
06-20-2006, 08:50 AM
Jaime, its "soot" not "suit" sorry had to do it....:) :)

I also have suit or soot on my transom after a day of running very normal, IMO...:yes:

Undertaker:propeller

LKSD
06-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Jaime, its "soot" not "suit" sorry had to do it....:) :)
I also have suit or soot on my transom after a day of running very normal, IMO...:yes:
Undertaker:propeller

That is funny. I was not over his shoulders watching. I dont know if he sucks at spelling, can't type or in a hurry to go to work. My vote is for all of the above. Donzi Kristin.:)

Richard Rees
06-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Ken, Sorry you had to borrow a GPS, I have yours boxed up ready to mail, lost your address. email me with it. Hope you are enjoying the boat, I am missing it, got yellow feaver. Richard