PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Johnson emgine's ????

Ktrain
06-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I know this isn't the right place for this but i need some input.............

Im lookin' to buy a boat that has 1994 twin Johnson 250's with 300 hours on them, does anybody know if these are good engine's and how many hours should I get outta them before havin' a major problem?? I know they have been very well taken care of up to date.....

Thanks in advance

joel3078
06-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Ask your local mechanics that fix em. 1994 was either right before or just during the time that quality problems for OMC outboards was starting to develop. I've been told that some of the stuff was manufactured in Mexico to save money and they had quality control issues from the cheap labor. The mid 90's 2-stroke engines suck quite a bit of gas/oil as compared to the newer 2-strokes. I had a 2000 Yamaha HPDI that I absolutely loved. I also remember something about lots of warranty work on powerheads blowing up and cracking due to bad sand casts/forging. Bottom line is some of the Johnson/Evinrude stuff in that mid 90's era sucked and some of it was great. You are doing the right thing by asking around.

dockrocker
06-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Head over to www.screamandfly.com - those guys are to outboards what this place is for Donzi's, the best source on the web.

Team Jefe
06-13-2006, 02:13 PM
K - Dock Rocker hit the nail on the head...also see my comments in teh F-33 thread...remember the S&F guys are all about racing...they have lots of knowledge, but most are looking a racing things, not stock OB's.

DonziJon
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
"FICHT" Fuel Injection was "The" New Technology when it came out. Not sure what year it was. I believe it was instrumental in bringing down OMC. Massive amount of warranty work required after it's introduction. I'm not sure whether they ever got it right after the problems became known. By that time the companies Reputation had taken a BIG hit. John :confused:

vonkamp
06-13-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a 95 Johnson Ocean Pro 200 on the back of my Aquasport 225 Explorer. It has a little over 400 hrs on it. It has been a great engine. I have the yearly maint./ tune ups. Compression is great. It will push my boat a little over 40 and gets 2 mpg avg. which I guess is good considering the weight of the boat. Very reliable engine for me.