PDA

View Full Version : spring recommissioning problems... Wise advice?

banfield
06-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Guys,
I just put my '83 22' Classic (454 Carb'ed) in this last Friday, and had some new engine problems that weren't there last year. To warn you all, I am not nearly as experienced with engines as most of you are, so speak slowly to me.... That being said, I REALLY value the kind of wisdom and expertise this board can bring to its users. I have benefitted greatly from it in the past.
The boat was stored indoors (but unheated) for the winter with about 1/3 tank of gas, with store-and-start in it. On Friday, when I put it in the water, it started easily, and ran smoothly at all RPMs. It's maiden voyage went smooth until after about 5-10 minutes of operation time, when it started cutting out intermittently (i.e., hit for 0.9s, miss for 0.1-0.2s). It did this the whole of the sea trial, whenever I tried to go above 2000RPM. It idled fine.
On Sunday, I added a bottle of dry gas and 5 extra gallons of good gas to the tank, assuming it was condensation over the winter. Again, it started fine, and ran as last year until about 5-10 minutes in, after I'd been out in the waves for a few minutes. Then, it did the same cutting out behavior for a few minutes. After maybe 5 minutes of this, it wouldn't exceed about 2200RPM, and occasionally I felt a vibration in the engine that seemed as though not all cylinders were firing. I limped in again, with it idling fine.
Neither time did I see smoke of any color from the exhaust.
Was the single bottle of dry gas enough to rule out water in the gas?
Could it be a coil or condenser or something electronic that is intermittently failing once it warms up?
What would you recommend for my diagnosis and correction of this?
All advice appreciated!
Thanks!
Don Banfield
Cayuga Lake, NY

DonziJon
06-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe some condensation inside the distributer cap....OR "leaky" ignition wires. Take the cap off and dry it out. It could also have a hairline crack or "tracking" inside. If no apparent problems there, then start the engine up and run it till warm, in the DARK so you can see a possable little electrical display (arcing) or "crosstalking" between "old" plug wires. John

PS: As the engine warms up, any condensation in the electrics will assert itself...particularly in the distributer cap. Use a hair dryer inside the distributer.

MOP
06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Ditto on the cap & Wires they don't last all that long in our damp bilges, as RPM rises there is more of a demand for a strong spark.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
06-12-2006, 06:21 PM
could be the choke is stuck> it runs great until it warms up? With it stuck it would run to rich and foul the plugs. Loosen the flame arrestor and let it warm up.Then check to see if the choke plate is open and that it moves freely.

joe

motorcity
06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
What about fuel starvation, rust in fuel tank clogging the pickup?

banfield
06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the good ideas. I'll go tonight to check the wires, cap and errant stray sparks (if I can wait until the sun sets so near the solstice). I'll also check the choke, as that seems quite straight-forward. But would you expect a very intermittent cutting out with a mis-set choke?
One thing I haven't done is fully warm it up sitting at the dock. That might eliminate the bouncing of the wves, mixing possible watery gas down to near the pickup. If it repeats while warm and stationary, then that hints more strongly to electrical gremlins, right?
Someone privately suggested I take the gas line off the gas filter and substitute an outboard fuel tank with fresh gas in it to verify the problem is electrical or contaminated gas. Unfortunately, I don't own any outboard fuel tanks... anyone have a crafty (but safe) idea for how to do this with a gas can? and maybe some fuel line and duct tape?
I certainly don't know, but I suspect the gas tank isn't rusty. I bought this boat 3 years ago from Paul Oettinger, and he had just replaced the gas tank before I bought it. Here's a few links to what he did:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29436
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23658
Oh, and another trip down memory lane... PaulO's post here resonates with me pretty well:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1537
I'll let you know what I find tonight!
Thanks!!!
Don Banfield

Donzigo
06-17-2006, 07:14 AM
It sounds like a fuel issue. I'd go with Joseph's advice, first, It's easy to check the choke. Then, on to the fuel filter and so on.

Good luck

banfield
06-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Hi Folks,
Although many posts documenting great ideas have (temporarily?) disappeared, with your guys help, I have indeed found and fixed the problem, without resorting to professional help! I can't thank you guys enough! Patience and wisdom are much appreciated. And considering the short summers we have here in upstate NY, this is a real relief to have the boat functional!

The problem was the optical pickup in the distributor. I was able to get the rotor off with the two screwdrivers, prying it up... no heat needed. Then, pull out the rusty old-style pickup, put in the brand new one, change the wiring a bit (barrel connectors instead of bolt-on connections), put it back together, and it seems to be working fine!

I took it out for about a 7 mile run last night, tenatively at first, then more confident.... what fun!

Anyhow, thanks again for all the good advice, and precise directions for what to look for and how to repair things. I owe you guys a beer if you are up on Cayuga Lake.

Thanks,
Don B.

DonziJon
06-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi Don: Glad you found the problem. I just had to Log On to answer your post. Normally I'm logged on automatically. Also interesting how some of the posts in this thread dissappeared. Oh well. John :lookaroun