PDA

View Full Version : CUDA.......a tile queston for you

Donzigo
06-10-2006, 11:45 AM
My bathroom shower is 30" x 58". It has those little 1 inch tiles from 1970s, when the house was built. I want to go over them with new 1.5 inch tiles. (The rest of the bathroom tile is perfect). The guy at Home Depot says I can clean the existing tiles, maybe scuff them a bit with a 10,000rpm grinder, then put down the new tiles, with Fortified Thinset. Then, he says I should grout the job with "non-sanded grout". The drain is going to be an issue. My thought is not to take the old one out. I think I can find one that will go inside the old one, since, the shower doesn't need a stopper.

Does any of this make any sense?

I don't have a current number for you or I would have called.

Thanks,

Richard

Cuda
06-10-2006, 01:18 PM
My bathroom shower is 30" x 58". It has those little 1 inch tiles from 1970s, when the house was built. I want to go over them with new 1.5 inch tiles. (The rest of the bathroom tile is perfect). The guy at Home Depot says I can clean the existing tiles, maybe scuff them a bit with a 10,000rpm grinder, then put down the new tiles, with Fortified Thinset. Then, he says I should grout the job with "non-sanded grout". The drain is going to be an issue. My thought is not to take the old one out. I think I can find one that will go inside the old one, since, the shower doesn't need a stopper.
Does any of this make any sense?
I don't have a current number for you or I would have called.
Thanks,
Richard
Yes, you can do that. They make drain extensions for the drain, or do what I usually do, just build up the grout around the drain, then stick the screws down in the grout. It's not going anwhere. Btw, use sanded grout.

Donzigo
06-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Many thanks.............I'll do it.

Call me and give me your numbers.

Me: 727-867-7020

LKSD
06-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Cuda, Do you do house call to PA??? My wife wants to redo our bathroom shower all in tile.. Anything she wants to have done never seems to be cheap or easy... :cartman: :shark:.... She must have me confused with Donald trump.. Although I think he will have more hair left at the end of this year ...:eek!: Jamie :)