PDA

View Full Version : 1966 18' 2+3 triple hatch barrelback in CA

Hull #18-83
06-09-2006, 08:22 PM
The time has come for me to sell Hull #18-83, my 18' 2+3 built on 7-19-66. This is the 83rd hull built and is an ultra-rare triple hatch barrelback design. Very cool and classic. Colors are white with red deck stripe, red hull sides and white water line stripe. Some highlights of the boat include:
-An early 1970s SBC LT-1 crate motor stroked to 383 CI by Rex Hutchison Racing Engines, with 32 hrs. With a compression ratio of 9.38 to 1, the dyno showed 393 HP @ 5,500 RPM and 439 lbft @ 3,600 RPM. Top quality parts. Stainless Marine exhaust with custom fabricated SS risers (from Brownie) to match up with original exhaust tip locations.
-A Volvo 270 T upper (hydraulic trim/tilt) coupled to a rare Volvo E-Drive lower (1.45 to 1 ratio, straight-cut gears, 1" shorter than std lower, 15 spline prop shaft, cast-in nose cone, thinner (3.5") housing, external water p/u). Prop is a brand new Mazco RE 3 14.25" X 24" LH.
-Full hydraulic steering with a Teleflex Seastar helm, kevlar lines and inside cylinder ram to the Volvo tiller bar. This eliminated all torque steer and makes for safe, easy control of the boat.
-New Aluminum fuel tank with 30+ gallon capacity.
-New Built-Rite upholstery (white w/ red piping) and Red carpet with Donzi logo in 2003. Full Sunbrella mooring cover.
-The original plywood stringers and transom coring are in great shape.
-Boat sits on a V&M single axle, painted white steel trailer that was completely refurbished two years ago. Custom welded double bunks.
-All new wiring harness and new VDO gauges (like original).
-The boat is a blast to drive. While it offers strong performance it is also very reliable. It consistently runs low to mid 70s at WOT, with an average of 74 mph @ 5,250. Note this is in FRESH WATER (Northern California rivers and Lake Tahoe). This running gear has NEVER been in salt water and it shows it!
OK, now for the things needed to make this one a show winner:
-The boat was repainted long before I bought it in 1997. The hull and sides are great but the deck is in need of new paint. The thick original gel is showing signs of crazing in spots on the deck.
-The boat was fit with cavitation plates (similar to an old flat-bottom inboard, ie: Sanger) when I got it. I removed them during the restoration but have not replaced them yet. The transom holes were temporarily sealed with 3M 5200. Doesn't look good, but keeps the boat afloat!
-The prior owner wanted to inspect the gas tank but didn't want to remove the deck, so he simply used the sawsall to create a joint behind the ski locker. It would be a fairly easy task to reglass the parts together, but I haven't. Everything rides fine as it is and the carpeting covers the cut.
-Only occassionally, the hydraulics on the 270T drive are slow to tilt the drive up when preparing to load onto the trailer. The drive hydraulics have been rebuilt.
-I have had the E-drive on the boat for only a few years (still have a Volvo 280 lower) and am still playing with props. I have Mercury Chopper, Machs and the Mazco - all three blades. Due to the shorter E-drive, the boat now cavitates when coming out of the hole - worse with a heavy load on board. But when it hooks up, it HOOKS UP AND GOES!!! I am thinking a 4 blade (Mazco or Mach) might solve this problem and increase the cruise speed, which is already excellent. Just haven't tried it yet. Remember that the E-drive requires an over-hub prop (like an outboard) and has 15 splines (like Merc) rather than the std 17 spline Volvo design. This boat has a port helm, hence it requires a left-hand prop.
-You will note that I added a few parts that were not original. The first is a specially made, Taylor lo-profile windshield. I like the look and really needed it to keep that cold Tahoe water off me. Second was a set of air horns. I like a LOUD horn and these do the job but they were not original. Third, I wanted a foot throttle so I could keep both hands on the wheel. This is my third boat with a foot throttle and I really like them! These could be removed with little hastle. Of course you all know that the boat came with a Ford and a Volvo 200 drive. The old Ford was junk when I got it and quickly made the decision to replace it with a Chevy. Going from the 200 to an E-drive was a no brainer.
In the nearly ten years of owning this boat, I have replaced ALL mechanical parts. It is a great, collectible boat from the very early Donzi years. Brownie estimates that fewer than 100 triple hatch boats were built. All hardware is intact and in good shape. I am 48 yrs old and own three boats (Donzi, 33 Scarab w/ twin 525 SC and a Cobalt CS7). With a wife and a 5 yr old son I am not able to enjoy this as I once did. This turn-key package is available now for $16,500. You can reach me at jstone@johnobronson.com or cell phone 916/213-1313. Please let me know what you think and have a great summer on the water! Thanks for reading, Jeff Stone

dockrocker
06-09-2006, 10:36 PM
The term "HOLY SH!T" comes to mind - that is one beautiful boat!

hbochs
06-09-2006, 11:08 PM
The term "HOLY SH!T" comes to mind - that is one beautiful boat!

Just what I muttered when I saw the photos! Very nice, very classic and very unique. I was going to say "good luck on the sale" but you won't need it, that's a mighty proud Donzi! :yes:

Hull #18-83
06-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Guys, thanks for the nice remarks. It really IS a very special boat, one that I have spent a LOT of time and $ on. I hope it goes to an appreciative owner who will thoroughly enjoy it!

thriller
06-10-2006, 10:32 AM
One of the nicest packages I have seen. bar None. Nice Job!:wink:

Jeff V
06-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Jeff,
That is one nice looking boat and a great example of an early classic DonzI. Good luck with the sale, it will make someone a very collectable and still useable boat. I just wish it was a 22 and I'd be all over it.

Jeff

Hull #18-83
06-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I have a few minutes to post a couple more shots of #83.
The first shows the Hydraulic steering ram coupled to the Volvo tiller, along with the custom made Stainless Marine Tail pipes, the new MSD ignition system just installed, and the hydraulic trim/tilt ram of the volvo 270T.
The second shows good detail of the helm and dash. You can see in the passenger foot area where a stereo cut-out had been professionally filled. Also note the foot throttle, hydraulic helm, deck mounted compass, lo-profile winshield, air horns on deck, and a 12V power plug under passenger grab handle.
The third is an overhead view of the boat.
I see that the quality of these pics are poor! Sorry about that, will try to locate a better camera for more photos. Thanks for the comments and looks and here's to the beginning of another great boating season!!!

Eugene Nahemow
06-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Beautiful classic!
That's two now in California fo sale.

Hull #18-83
07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Any Donzi lovers on the West Coast? This ultra rare 18 is still available and waiting for a new owner! Thanks for looking.

Igotogo
07-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I am able to see a place for attached thumbs but do not see any photos. Does anyone else have an issue?

Matt

techspecial
07-22-2006, 09:06 PM
:confused:

Sagbay32
07-23-2006, 07:09 AM
No pics for me either

Michael

Hull #18-83
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Guys, not sure what to say about the photos. They are coming through loud and clear for me and some others as well. Maybe someone here can advise why some of you can not view the photos. Harbormaster, are you listening?

Thanks,

HOWARD O
07-24-2006, 04:35 PM
If it's any help to anybody, I was able to view the photos in the initial post and I replied about them. I see none now?

Hull #18-83
04-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi Donzi Lovers,
The 1966 triple-hatch described above is mine and it is still for sale. I had a few email responses, but no lookers. If anyone wants a COLLECTIBLE and RARE 18', this is the one. Winter is over and it's time to go boating!
Not sure what ever happened to my original pictures. I will attach new photos ASAP. Give me a call if you'd like further details. Cell #916/213-1313.
Thanks for looking,
Jeff Stone

DON N.
04-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I Can't See Any Photos Either .

Kirbyvv
04-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I thought it was just me, but no photo's here either. Anyone have any ideas.

Hull #18-83
04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Guys, Read the posts! Pictures were attached when I first posted the ad, then they misteriously disappeared. I will take some more, then repost them. OK? Jeff Stone

gr8dane
06-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Jeff,
I am interested in buying a 16 or 18 but have not seen either in person. I am located in Rocklin. Please email the pics you have to: tjnygaard@sbcblobal.net and maybe I can set up a time to see your 18c.
Thanks
Tom