PDA

View Full Version : A good read for parts buyers

Rootsy
06-08-2006, 10:30 AM

RickSE
06-08-2006, 11:48 AM
A friend at work was trying to use CAT connecting rods in his blown BB Mopar, I just shook my head. The con rods didn't work but he is using a knock off crank from China. It should be OK though right? It's only 700-800 HP.:shocking: clank-clank---boom

When our truck got wrecked I took it right to the Chevy dealer for repair. I didn't even bother getting a quote from a regular body shop. I watch as it was rebuilt and every part that went back on the truck came out of a GM box. Of course the parts probably came from Mexico but at least they were factory parts and not knock-offs.

The only thing I wonder abut now are the name brand Summit parts. They are cheaper then most other brands but I wouldn't think a company like Summit would risk their reputation on crap parts especially since most will go into racing applications.

Forrest
06-08-2006, 04:20 PM
I heard something recently on National Public Radio about how inferior counterfeit parts, especially brake drums and rotors as well as other brake parts for tractor-trailers, are being made in China complete with OEM casting marks and OEM packaging. This stuff is then sold to parts houses for much cheaper than true OEM parts. The parts house make more profit on each item and the owner of the rig thinks he getting OEM parts when in reality he is getting dangerous junk. Pretty scary.

LKSD
06-09-2006, 07:20 AM
This has also been happening with marine gauges as well.. Knock offs sold as the real deal.. & sometimes its hard to tell the difference.. It's amazing & unfortunate as to how much of this scamming may be going on... :mad:
Jamie / Lakeside

BigGrizzly
06-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I work for American Honda Motor Co Ltd. there are many general purpose engines and generators that look exactally like ours To the point parts will interchange, except for one minor detail the quality sucks and these engines don't pass emissions. Yes lawnmowers have fed controls too. We fave filed cese and desist law suits against these compamys. Feds don't have enough manpower to stop this. Some people come to our dealers to get it warranteed, sorry Charlie. Knocks are here and it affects the good guys who try to compete by cutting corners. Rootsy mentioned claimer pistons. they got their name for use in claiming races where cheaper engines are used because of claiming rules. A lot people use them I don't especially hypereutectic pistons because of there expansion rates. There good but not good enough in my opinion especially comming from my Honda background. Rember engine parts are not a pair of knock geans!

LKSD
06-10-2006, 07:13 AM
"Charlie" LOL!!! Was the pun intended?? :moped: :sombrero: :jestera: :jestera: