PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Information On 1986 Hornet Iii

RHW
06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
050355GOOD DAY TO ALL . I AM A NEW MEMBER AND I OWN A 1986 HORNET III.
I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT THE HISTORY OF THIS PARTICULAR MODEL AND I AM HAVING A HARD TIME. I FEEL THE BOAT IS SOMEWHAT UNIQUE IN THAT IT IS THE ONLY DONZI I HAVE EVER SEEN THAT HAS A FULL BENCH SEAT INSTEAD OF BUCKETS.THE BOAT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION WITH LESS THEN 200 HOURS.
REPOWERED IN 2000 WITH A FACTORY 496 ORIGINAL BRAVO DRIVE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THIS MODEL I HAVE HEARD THAT THERE WERE FEW OF THEM PRODUCED AND I WOULD LIKE TO CONFIRM THAT. THANKS

RHW500@AOL.COM

Formula Jr
06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
All the Hornets have bench seats. Yours should have a walk through knotch cut in the middle.

That is a very nice setup you have there with the 498 and the Bravo.
All Hornets are rare. The rarest of them being the Single Benchseat Hornet 1 at 19 feet. Rarer still is the Single bench seat with an Outdrive. When the Hornet III was made, Donzi was making less than 60 boats total a year. So any pre-Ghent Donzi is rare. Looks like you got one of the last ones in '86 and then it was substancially improved with the Bravo and the 498.

The Donzi Model List isn't back up, with the board changing over to a new server, so maybe wait alittle while. That will give you the time lines when the model was made.

Morgan's Cloud
06-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Very pretty boat !
A prominent boat person bought one in out here back in the mid 80's. Blue hull sides/deck stripe, white bottom. Had a 290 Volvo with a 280 drive unit.
When I was on the hunt for my Donzi he offered it to me first. Not knowing how much my St T would end up costing me I thought he was asking a fortune :bonk: (and definitely ) :banghead: in retrospect it would have been a bargain !
The following year the boat was completely destroyed by then direct hit of hurricane Emily (And it was'nt even in the water)
I think that you're going to have a rocket if you put a 496 in it !
Steve

RHW
06-08-2006, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Formula Jr]All the Hornets have bench seats. Yours should have a walk through knotch cut in the middle.

That is a very nice setup you have there with the 498 and the Bravo.
All Hornets are rare. The rarest of them being the Single Benchseat Hornet 1 at 19 feet. Rarer still is the Single bench seat with an Outdrive. When the Hornet III was made, Donzi was making less than 60 boats total a year. So any pre-Ghent Donzi is rare. Looks like you got one of the last ones in '86 and then it was substancially improved with the Bravo and the 498.

The Donzi Model List isn't back up, with the board changing over to a new server, so maybe wait alittle while. That will give you the time lines when the model was made.[/QUOTE

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION ON THE HORNET WHAT WOULD BE YOUR GUESS AS TO THE VALUE OF THE BOAT.IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

BERTRAM BOY
06-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Do you have a hull number?

RHW
06-08-2006, 06:41 PM
I Appreciate Your Reply Hull # Is As Follows;

Dmr21102j586 Outdrive # A565056 Engine A564776

Thank You For Your Time'

Rhw

22zxla
06-08-2006, 06:43 PM
just saw on ebay under search for donzi a brochure for a 20ft hornet is forsale. Thought it might be of interest

RHW
06-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I Appreciate The Heads Up On E Bay Thanks Rhw

BUIZILLA
06-08-2006, 07:01 PM
An '86 had a bench seat??

Scott Pearson
06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Owen....What are you talking about. All Hornets did not have benchseats. There are the 2+3, The walk through front seat and single Bench seat. Also...A v-drive single bench seat hornet is much more rare the a stern drive. Donzi made more stern drive benchseat boats. The V-drive seat up all had big motors ie. 327 twin turbos, 427 sideoiler Holman Moody Fords, Big Block Chry. etc. All stern drive benchseat Hornets had small Block Fords.

Please get your facts right.

Formula Jr
06-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I stand corrected. I really was sure all of them had the walk through bench.
But, it makes sense you could order what ever you wanted. What year and model is the first PIC?

The addition of the 498 and the Bravo makes this a Sweet Boat.

Someone here might really want it, so they will tell you what its worth to them.
We haven't seen pics yet.......

Scott Pearson
06-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Its a 1970. Also Donzi was making roughly 150 Boats per year. Since 1967-1987 Donzi made over 3,000 boats.

Also in 1973 Donzi made several Jet Drive Hornets.