PDA

View Full Version : A bittersweet day...

Tony
06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I delivered my '67 Ski Sporter to its new owner, Jay Lurie from CT. I will definitely miss this great boat, and have had some awesome experiences in it over the last 9 years. It was a difficult day...I took about 20 pictures, including one as it was driving away!

That being said, I am excited it is going to a great new owner...an accomplished blow-boat racer who has come to his senses! He is excited about acquiring a piece of history, and adding this boat to his fleet. So, if you're on Lake George this summer and see this beautiful Ski Sporter cruise by, wave to Jay (pictured below) and his mile-wide grin!

:beer:

jl1962
06-07-2006, 10:32 AM
This looks like a good time for a first post. I am the lucky new owner of Tony's 16. Although I'm a newbie, I'm also an oldie as my family owned a 67' Ski Sporter on Lake George in the late 60's/early 70's. I've been missing that boat for 35 years and getting Tony's boat yesterday was a "Rosebud" moment for me. All credit to Tony. What a stand up guy and a meticulous owner too. Many will think of this boat as Tony's boat for years to come and deservedly so - he has set the bar pretty high.

I'm looking forward to meeting many of you at the Dust-off next week. My favorite boat on my favorite lake.

Long may you run....

Kirk
06-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I live in Westbrook, CT and see that you are from CT as well!

I have a 74' 16 Sporter....where will you be doing your boating?

Good Luck with you boat...it's a beauty!

KJ

Morgan's Cloud
06-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I would think that for Jay , to be able to finally get the same model/vintage boat from his childhood that he's yearned for (for 30 + years) it's a VERY sweet day !
And as for you Tony , don't you have a rather zippy new 22 to help ease the bitterness ? :biggrin.:

jl1962
06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Kirk - We do a lot of sailboat racing primarily out of Cedar Point YC in Westport, but really all over. We rent on Lake George in August. The Donzi will likely go up for the Dust-off and stay through the fall LGDC picnic. I haven't decided whether to leave it upstate for the winter or bring it back here. Tony believes that the boat has never been in salt water so I will try to resist putting it in the Sound!

Yesterday was pretty cool for me. It's amazing all the little things that come back.

Tony took it pretty well!

Tony
06-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Welcome to the board, Jay! Thanks for the kind words, but don't sell yourself short regarding your Ski Sporter. With your experience on the water, boat fleet ownership, and appreciation of history and quality memories I am certain that you will continue to "do this boat right".

Yes, the 22' does help ease the pain, although right now it has no decals, registration numbers, transom hardware, or insurance! (I'm in the process of sanding the oxidation off the hullsides...kind of a PITA and tedious job.)

:beer:

Ranman
06-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Tony,

This is just a new chapter in your Donzi life. Do you remember this day?

http://www.zabram.com/Boating/GunLake_01/RedDonzi11.jpg