PDA

View Full Version : stringer repair

hardcrab
06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
continuing R&R on '66 18' 2+3 ; project reveals more questions ...............
The deck is off and has been re-cored, including new floor.
I've spent many hours over the previous two weekends preparing the hull for transom replacement and general repair.
I've removed plywood sister stringers ( poorly installed and WET ); removed several layers of woven roving / mat from the bilge and stringers, cut out improperly installed gussets and a once-over with the grinder to expose the original surface.
The original stringers have been cut into / notched in a few locations mostly in the area of the engine compartment. Tapping on the wood, using a small ball peen hammer, I've got a nice solid sound on the stringers forward of the bulkhead at the engine, I don't care for the "thud" sound on the last few feet .
My plan is to use 3/4" Coosa board for all my replacement material . I will install 8' sister stringers after replacing the questionable sections of existing stringers.
The question is:
Given a choice where to place the joint in the existing stringers;
- At the bulkhead / gusset (forward of the engine)
- Forward of the bulkhead
- Aft of the bulkhead
- OR - no real benefit either way..... (then, I'll opt for the first choice)
The sister stringer will overlap this area by 3' and, as stated in a previous thread, 4 gussets on either side.
As always, all suggestions, comments and, opinions are apprieciated.

hardcrab
06-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Root -

thanks for the logic I was asking for,
no, I don't have a hull number, have looked all over (all is visible). Got many pics but can't seem to post; I'll figger somethin' out.