PDA

View Full Version : Gil bracket?

DonziChick
06-06-2006, 11:34 AM
For those of you who don't know, I just bought a 1982 25' Checkmate convincor with a 250 Bluewater Mercury. I really like the boat and the way it handles the water. However, it is incredibly bow light and doesn't seem like it's getting clean water (prop shaft is too close to the V)

It has a jack plate but it doesn't lower enough to get clean water. And there are a couple extra bolt holes on it but the bar for the hydrolic steering is in the way of lowering it.

Some friends of mine were telling me that a gil bracket would set back my outboard about 2 feet, change my center of gravity and give me some cleaner water.

Outboard guys - what do you think about that? Good idea?

MOP
06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Gil brackets do work great, they have it down to a science. Call them explain your setup to them they will tell just what is needed and how they recommend doing it, use good inner transom support material the bracket creates a bit of extra leverage.

Phil

LKSD
06-07-2006, 07:34 AM
If you think it's bow light now, wait till ya shift that 400+ lb engine back 2'....
IMO, we need a pic. If the engine isnt going low enough, the jackplate is either set up wrong, or not compatible with your boat/engine combo.
shouldnt this be in the "other boats" section?? :D :D :D :D :beer:

Poodle, I agree with you on all of thee above..

DonziChick, Is the lower standard or is it a shorty?? It soundls like you need more depth not setback. Jamie

DonziChick
06-07-2006, 08:28 AM
It's a standard lower.

There's plenty of space on the jackplate to lower the outboard - however, there's the bar for the hydryolic steering that overlaps the lip of the splash well. You can't lower the outboard down a couple of holes on the jack plate because of that bar. I'll try and get some pics to post. I could get a plate to separate the outboard from the jackplate some to accommodate for that bar too.

A friend of mine who does a lot of work for Checkmate and works with outboards told me that using the gil bracket would change my center of gravity some and help with it being bow light. Right now the engine and fuel tank are both on the transom. If I separated those two a little it seems to me that it would not make the transom so heavy.

Sofa King
06-07-2006, 09:00 AM
I am not a fan of protruded aftermarket brackets. My last one Armstrong bent. If the design is incorporated as part of the hull than they are good. If you are using your boat in light waters you sohld'nt have a problem, but off shore making crossings in 4-6-8's you prolly don't want em. I had to fight with Armstrong and they still wouldn't warranty thier bracket.

Arip

DonziChick
06-08-2006, 12:20 PM
I'll see what I can do ;)

tiger lily
06-08-2006, 07:26 PM
everyone is right that posted above, im a big fan of the clamp on motors, and if you think its light in the bow now, move it back and your in for a big surprise, plus it wont plane as well, on our old hydrostream with the performance prop on it and 2 people in the boat you damn near had to be leaning onto the bow and fight with it to get it on plane, but once planed off watch out... now that was with out a extension bracket, so from my past with these type of boats, the extension brackets arent that great, moving the tank to the bow will help when the tank is full, but when you get to half/quarter tank, your still going to be light, the guys over at screamandfly should know more alot more about this, i would post over there. if the jack plate can go down lower, move it lower, if something is blocking it, then move that lower also... another guy i know with a 100+ mph stream used to just leave is jack plate all the way up, he claims they are a waste of money, i dont know sorry :confused: :confused: :confused: