PDA

View Full Version : engine compartment

22zxla
06-05-2006, 08:05 PM
My exhaust manifolds are rusting and will change this winter. When i bought the boat the guy keep it a garage with hatch open, the motor was rust free. Well i dont have a garage an would keep the boat at my lake house year round. I would put on the cockpit cover and then a whole boat cover. The whole boat cover would cover the engine vent holes and i was getting no air in the compartment, thus leading to rust. Now i pull the cover back so the vent holes are exposed and run a cheap small electric fan. So heres the question ? Do others do this as well? I talked to some one who puts a small light and another puts a dehumidifier. Both are also from new orleans and was wondering if this is only done in high humidity areas or all over? If you put something in your compartment what do you prefer?

gcarter
06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
If I kept my boat outside and had power available, I'd use a dehumidifier. I live in a similar climate and believe the dehumidifier would definately be worthe the electric bill.

need for speed
06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I boat in salt... after a day out i spray the motor down with a little WD-40 and suck the water out of the bildge with a shop vac... I keep the boat in a garage with 2 fans that run next to the boat 24-7 and i keep the hatch up and let it dry out for a few days then if i want i close it....:biggrin: if i kept it outside i make sure she stays as dry as possible...

MOP
06-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I boat in salt boat stays covered outside year round on the trailer and I have -0- rust. Buy a solar fan the type that are used for fixed ventilation on boats, get a section of 4" thin wall PVC pipe about 6' long and an eblow. Glue the elbow on and slip the fan into the ellbow and hold in place with a couple of small self tappers, tape carpet to the whole pipe to protect the deck. Leave the cockpit cover loose on the aft corner, lay the pipe just inside the vents and put the full cover on the boat will stay dry with no musty odors or any traces of mildew. I have used this for about 5 years and am real happy I slapped it together.

Phil

MOP
06-05-2006, 08:50 PM
A P.S. I live about 1/4 mile from the bay and Long Island is DAMN damp and not warm like my Southern Buddie's!

Phil

22zxla
06-05-2006, 09:12 PM
MOP thanks for the info,but after rereading it about 10 times i think i need a picture! you got me curious about your device.

MOP
06-05-2006, 10:42 PM
By the time this old fart shoots pics with his FILM camera the season may be over, look at the top pic on the page below. You can buy them in 3" or 4" I had a couple in my stash gave it a try on my 16 first as it would get real musty after a rainy day or two. Like I said I just lay it next to the engine vents with the open end protruding a little into the cockpit, it stick out the back and does keep the cover up on that corner. I rotate the fans head toward the general direction of the sun, but even on a cloudy day it runs just a little slower. It did run 24-7 but the internal battery died about a year ago but seems not to effect its efficiency, Minxman Ken was down for the weekend awhile back he can attest to my dusty dry bilge and interior.

http://www.nextag.com/solar-vent/search-html
I have seen them go for $60 on Ebay, 5 years no electric bill or outages to worry about so far!

Phil

MOP
06-05-2006, 10:45 PM
A diagram of one!

http://www.sailgb.com/p/solarvent_marine/

22zxla
06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
MOP thanks for the responses and your time! Now i get what your doing. Have never seen those solar fans before but i love the idea. All im basically doing is resurculating the same air as your idea is bringing more fresh air! Thanks again!