PDA

View Full Version : plasma v lcd

half shell
06-05-2006, 05:29 PM
alright I am nearing completion of the home remodel and looking for a new TV.
42" wall mount I am not sure which type? All are around 2200/2500.
What do you like?

Regards Bob

synack
06-05-2006, 05:57 PM
You may also want to consider a projector if the room allows for it...

tmdog
06-05-2006, 07:09 PM
If you got the the bucks, plasma. You will be glad you did.:biggrin.: :biggrin.:

need for speed
06-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I just got a big LCD i am very happy with it..:shocking:

Donzigo
06-05-2006, 07:25 PM
My son took me to Tweeters/Sound Advice to get a LCD T.V. I hadn't learned too much about them and hadn't bought anything in 15 years. No worries, my Mitsubishi 50 inch had worked well for 15 years. So, my TV must have heard I was at the store and it puked on me. So, now I'm a customer for one too. For a month or so, I did the learning curve thing. Plasma is great; but, very very expensive to get repaired, as I understand it. So, I decided on a LCD Mitsubishi small version; but, when I got there, I just couldn't take my eyes off that 63 inch bad boy. So, I took the plunge, (which cost as much as a small automobile), but, I am so happy I did. It's so cool to watch HDTV. My first experience. I only have 20 channles; but it still cool. I never watched so many nature shows and stuff about wallpaper, food and stuff I don't have the slightest interest in. The TV is just addictive.

I hooked up all my 1980's vintage Infinity speakers and the TV rocks.

I vote for LCD.

Ed Donnelly
06-06-2006, 12:50 AM
I sprung for a 60" Sony LCD in January, and couldn't be happier. The couch potato Ed

Formula Jr
06-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Sock puppets in a cardboard box, always worked for me.

LKSD
06-06-2006, 07:21 AM
We sprung for both. A 42' Plasma for the rec room (where we spend most of our time) The plasma still seems to have the best picture. We got a samsung.. The 32' lcd hi def we got for our living room was a sharp Aquos.. It had a nice picture for an lcd.. I guess it comes down to personal preference.. Jamie :)

Mac
06-06-2006, 07:26 AM
The best 42" plasma for the price range you are talking about is the Panasonic TH-42PX60U, if you read the AV forums or any of the product reviews Panasonic HD plasmas are usually the best for the money.
The people talking about 60" and 63" LCDs must be talking about projections TVs there are no direct view LCDs that big, there is no comparison between projection and direct view plasma and LCD, and plasma is superior to LCD.

Forrest
06-06-2006, 02:53 PM
That 42" Panasonic Plasma is really nice and is a good value, Consumer Reports says so as well, but I went for the 43" Pioneer Plasma instead and couldn't be happier. Though the Sonys and some other LCDs in the larger sizes are great, I recommend Plasma for 42" to 50", and if you have money to burn the 60" Pioneer Plasma is no slouch.

roadtrip se
06-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Sony XBR Wega 42. Picture is awesome. Funny thing is, we don't watch much broadcast television, but the folks at Netflix don't make much on us.

half shell
06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Right now I am leaning towards the samsung 42"plasma HDTV.
While at circuit city it appeared to have the best picture in that size(which fits over the fire place nicely) and is under 2500 benjamins.

However for the same money I can get the LCD which some say is a better picture but is hard to tell for both types are not along side each other.

Regards Bob

pmreed
06-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Plasma. Especially if you're mounting high. You get wider viewing angles with a plasma. You'll be angling it down to face the primary viewing position, and you'll have a better image on the plasma from other than the prime viewing position. Walk to the side of the LCD set as well as above and below to check this for yourself.

Phil

Schnook
06-06-2006, 10:56 PM
We have 103 LCD TV's in our hospital. They're pretty durable - I had one that was hung improperly and fell from it's mount @ 8' and the panel landed flat on my head (I'm 6'). After I stopped cussing, we hung it back up and it still worked.