PDA

View Full Version : ZX or ZFC??

windansea
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Greetings...noob here

I live in Puerto Vallarta Mexico on the Bay of Banderas (largest bay in Mexico) It's usually calm mornings and evenings, a bit of messy wind chop during the day here. Larger swells sometimes.

I am looking to purchase a 32 to 35 foot Donzi and am looking at used ZX's and ZFC's. The bay is a great place to fish, cruise around, dive etc

I know the diferences between the two models and like the look and comfort of the ZX and also like the utility and fishability of ZFC model. From what I've read here and other forums both boats ride well.

I am not mechanical, there is a Mercury dealer/service here. I am not sure if I will end up trailering my boat, putting it in a marina, or might buy a lot on a canal where I can build my own dock.

If I end up leaving boat in the water is the outboard setup a better way to go? What about fuel economy/reliability/service etc?

Comparing a 33 ZX with 502's with Bravo 1's versus a 32 or 35 ZFC with 250 optimax

Any comments and suggestions much appreciated!

Sofa King
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
My vote would be the ZFC, more versitlie less maintenance.

Sofa King
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
BTW, Don't drink the water! Negra Modela :biggrin:

windansea
06-05-2006, 06:54 PM
My vote would be the ZFC, more versitlie less maintenance.

that's the way I am leaning too...I can get a newer ZFC for the same $$ too

PS My boss owns the Modelo/Corona plant here :beer:

Sofa King
06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Cool send me a case. Yesterday I was enjoying a bowl of menudo with three Negro Modelas and lima. Only other mexican beer I drink, very hard to get, is Sympatico in the black bottle. Good stuff.

Salute
Arip

Team Jefe
06-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I guess my vote is pretty Obvious....just remember the "C" means cuddy and they are serious...it is NOT a cabin even in the 35. best for storage, ladies head area and emergency shelter.

windansea
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I guess my vote is pretty Obvious....just remember the "C" means cuddy and they are serious...it is NOT a cabin even in the 35. best for storage, ladies head area and emergency shelter.

yeah..that's the weakness of the ZFC...not much of a space for entertainment with the ladies...I like the ZX because of the galley and larger cabin...

Team Jefe
06-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Man - you are in Puerto Vallatra...everyone comes there to SEE teh place...do like me and put a big sunpad on the bow, then entertain the ladies in the open sparkling wonderness that is all around you.

One thing I wish I had....bolstered seats. the newer ZF's have them and they are really needed for a performance fish boat.

Also, I built a back seat for Jefe's Revenge and it has room for Four grown ups. Removalbe for when I go fishing.:wink:

windansea
06-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Man - you are in Puerto Vallatra...everyone comes there to SEE teh place...do like me and put a big sunpad on the bow, then entertain the ladies in the open sparkling wonderness that is all around you.
One thing I wish I had....bolstered seats. the newer ZF's have them and they are really needed for a performance fish boat.
Also, I built a back seat for Jefe's Revenge and it has room for Four grown ups. Removalbe for when I go fishing.:wink:

I like those helm seats on the newer ZF's too...I am looking at a few 35's that are 3 - 4 years old...going to have a mechanic do a compression check, test oil etc...what else should I look for?

Sofa King
06-07-2006, 09:45 PM
My next offshore fishin boat will be a Strike 35 ;)

donzist
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
As an owner of a 35 zfc, I highly recommend it. Although the cuddy cabin is smaller than I would like , it good enough to keep storage inside, and girls on top of it, so it works well. It's also a great fishing machine, and will impress you in rough water. Mine has the bolstered seats, which are a plus when running hard against chop.

windansea
06-08-2006, 04:56 PM
As an owner of a 35 zfc, I highly recommend it. Although the cuddy cabin is smaller than I would like , it good enough to keep storage inside, and girls on top of it, so it works well. It's also a great fishing machine, and will impress you in rough water. Mine has the bolstered seats, which are a plus when running hard against chop.

nice looking ride...did you buy new or used? I am looking at some 00's to 03's

I have read that in 01 or 02 the opti 250's became a lot more reliable

any tips you have for checking the boats out greatly appreciated.

Extreme Measures
06-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Here are my 2 cents worth.I have a 33zx now and I love it.Mine has the 502's stock I have not had any problems with the boat at all.It also runs very well in the rough water.I like the cabin space and also the air cond. in the cabin.Well I guess you know which on I would be buying.Your Friends In Boating Extreme Measures :lookaroun