PDA

View Full Version : Battery issues :(

Yellowdonzi67
06-04-2006, 11:29 AM
As I was cruising along the chesapeake yesterday afternoon, everything was going smooth.

All the sudden we completely lost all electrical power. A quick check revealed a loose ground connection on the battery, After tightening it, we were back underway with no problems....until once again we lose all battery power. We regained power once again after drifting for about 10 minutes, but the engine decided it didn't want to start again. The battery was run until dead, so after getting a tow in I took out the battery and charged it overnight.

This morning after going back out and reinstalling the battery, all seemed fine. I started her up, she took, but once again we lost ALL electrical power.

I suspect there is a bad connection somewhere. I checked the contacts on the engine and at the ignition and it all looks fine, and i'm fresh out of ideas. If you all could give me suggestions on where to look I would be much appreciative.

Its a 16 foot 67 with a 302 ford, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Yellowdonzi67
06-04-2006, 06:18 PM
I'm getting absolutely nothing.

No blower, no lights, nothing.

I've checked the ground cable and the ignition and as far as i can tell it all looks ok.

Since the blower doesn't work (normally does with the ignition off), it leads me to believe that at least the ignition isn't causing the problem, and that it must be at the battery. (please correct me if i'm wrong)

That rules it down to four connections, and I'm scratching my head as to why any of them wouldn't be ok. Is it at all possible that its the battery itself? Its about a year old and has only been used 10-15 times. Today was beautiful and I was supposed to be out all day :(.

joseph m. hahnl
06-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Was the battery Dead?? If the battery was completly discharged
Have the voltge regulator and the alternator Tested.Most auto parts stores will test them for FREE.

If the Battery was not Dead and came back on you could have a bad ignition switch.Check the wire harness plug maybe it's loose or has bad contact.
The battery terminals and or wires could be corroded and making poor contacts.

The easiest way to find electrical problems is with a continuity tester ,and a ground light tester.

Start from the ignition switch and work your way down the circuit.

joe

Yellowdonzi67
06-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks.

No, the battery was completely charged. I removed it and charged it overnight via my dads old charger. This morning when i was getting juice it started like a champ.

Now i've got to find a continuity tester. I'm sure there is one in my garage.

Yellowdonzi67
06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Ok. so after getting ahold of a continuity tester i realized i'm not the greatest with electrical wiring. The battery is out, and when i touch the battery wires with the tester (actually its an ohms meter) I have it signals halfway up with the key off, and all the way up with the ignition in the on position. In otherwords, its telling me I have a complete circtuit (I think). I'm touching one end to the positive battery cable (where it would be connected to the batter) and the other end to the negative.

Still, when i hook up the battery I get nothing. So does this mean i have a bad ground somewhere? Am i reading the signals wrong? Could I have blown a fuse (I checked em but couldn't find anything wrong with them)?

Thanks! You guys have a been a big help so far.

David Ochs
06-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I would guess that more than likely you have a connection problem.
But, don't rule out the battery. I have had bad luck with batteries. Three times I've experienced having the battery short out inside. Probably a plate breaking loose.
On one occasion I thought my starter was bad because everything electrical still worked, but the starter would not operate. So, with my great logical wisdom, I decided it was a bad starter. Wrong! It was the battery.
On two other occasions, on my Ford diesel truck, I've had one of the two batteries short inside and have no electrical power. In both of these instances I was able to dissconnect the bad battery and start the truck.

In any event I hope your problem is minor and you're able to get back on the water soon. Good luck.

Yellowdonzi67
06-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I've just about had it with this. My mechanic is coming out early tomorrow morning to take a looksy. Hopefully I will be on the magothy by 3.

Sofa King
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I feel your pain James. My POS battery on my POS Hardly took a dump on me this weekend so I couldn't ride it to ROT. Good news is I took my better bike, Yammie :wink:

Arip
BTW, I tired of messing round with batteries so I bought Odyssey dry cell, they r possed to b da best. Good luck.