PDA

View Full Version : Prop testing on Lakesides 2006 22' Classic

LKSD
06-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Well. Last friday I finally got her wet for the first time.. (the boat that is) :bonk: :jestera: :jestera: .. I have had it out several times over the last week (basiscally every morning & evening this week) & these are my prop results & MY OPINIONS based on my boat & driving styles with my wife riding shotgun & a 3rd passenger at times. Even Donzi kristin noticed the differences in the props. God knows want to keep her comfy if I can :) .. Its amazing how a prop can run good on 1 boat but be different on another... Jamie
2006 22 classic 496 Mag Ho Bravo 1 X 1.50
Fuel tank full, outside air temp apx 70'... Apx 1-2ft chop
Mercury Mirage plus (factory stock prop) (3 blade) 14.25 x 25p 74mph @ 4850rpm Slight porpose at times & modertate tab use required.. Handling fair to good ( currently will be used as my spare prop for the boat)
Turbo Prop TXP (3 blade) 14.75 X 25p 71-72mph @ 4800rpm slow planning (similar to a cleaver in planning ) very little porposing & handled nicley. This prop needed the least tab useage, but planned badly & the top end was not what I had envisioned.
Turbo Turbo1 (3 blade) 14.25 X 25p 70-71mph @ 4850rpm Planned well, what was supprising was excessive tab use and constant need for slight & drastic corrections with tab & trim regularly in comparison to the other props I tried. This was my least favorite prop tested. Which was supprising due to the positive things I have heard about it on other 22c's
Mercury Bravo (4 blade) 1 15.25 x 24p 70 mph @ 5000rpm Planned and handled ok. Moderate use of tabs & trim. I was unimpressed with the top end of the prop despite it's handling & rpm charachteristics.
Attwood Ballistic (3 blade) 14.25 x 25p 74-76mph @ 4900 rpm Planned & handled similarly to the Merc mirage Plus from the factory but slightly more tame in tab & trim useage. This is currently my main & favorite prop due to it's good top end speed & fairly comfortable handling charateristics.
Like I said these are my results on my boat based on my Driving habits, likes dislikes & my boat. Your results I'm sure will probably vary.. Jamie

EricG
06-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the Excellent information....I know actual back to back testing takes a lot of effort...thanks for taking the time.

$10 says there will be several Attwood props sold in the near future :)

EG

LKSD
06-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks.. I will probabbly eventually try a couple more props, but I need to enjoy it a bit more before I subject the wife to more testing runs.. I admit It is a bit of a pain in the a$$ launching & hauling over & over to try different props.. I will keep you posted when & If I try any other props.. Jamie

undertaker
06-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Jaime just curious are they GPS speeds or speedo speeds... You got me very curious now...:uzi: :uzi:

Undertaker:pimp:

PS New trailer looks nice....:boat:

LKSD
06-04-2006, 02:06 PM
It is on the stock livorsi non gps. I didnt install my raymarine unit yet.. When I get a chance I will try to post what ever the actual deviation may be if any.. I also will probably be installing a tab indicator unless it looks like it will ghetto out the dash.. :moped: Jamie

Thanks on the trailer...

BigGrizzly
06-04-2006, 03:56 PM
The only result that doesn't surorise me is the Bravo test. From the numbers and results it seems you could use a smaller prop especially with the TXP. mabe a lightning is in order?

LKSD
06-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I am happy with the Ballistic.. I know some people love them or hate them.. But I too was very supprised with my results with the Turbos.. I know alot of people with them on the classics that love them, both friends & customers.. They seem to be made well and perform great on many classics. I even took on the line up here for them with my shop.. I think they make a nice prop, it's just not allowing my boat to be performing like I know it should.. I eventually may try some props from Mazco & Hydromotive..

Depending on finances my wife & I may supercharge it & do the required fuel & internal mods to go along with it.. Powerboat magazine has offered us an arcticle spot if I do it to my boat or a customers boat with then new 496 Mag Ho's .. If money were no object I would think of the Ilmor 625 & possibly an Arneson.. Jamie :wavey:

Barry Eller
06-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I have a Ballistic by Mich. wheel. What is the differance in my Ballistic and the Attwood Ballistic?

LKSD
06-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I have a Ballistic by Mich. wheel. What is the differance in my Ballistic and the Attwood Ballistic?

There shouldn't be any.. Michigan wheel bougth out Attwood's Prop line a year or two ago..

Barry Eller
06-05-2006, 05:51 PM
There shouldn't be any.. Michigan wheel bougth out Attwood's Prop line a year or two ago..
I'm getting similar results with my Ballistic. 14.25"x25". My other propeller is a Hydromotive Q-IV 23". I love my Ballistic.

blackhawk
06-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Good info! That's great the Ballistic prop performed that well. A lot of people dog them because they are a "cheap propeller" but I have read a few good FIRST HAND things about them recently.

Now, send me that prop so I can try it on my Pantera! :biggrin:

Barry Eller
06-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Good info! That's great the Ballistic prop performed that well. A lot of people dog them because they are a "cheap propeller" but I have read a few good FIRST HAND things about them recently.
Now, send me that prop so I can try it on my Pantera! :biggrin:
I bought my Ballistic from www.iboats.com it was on sale for $204.90 That could have been because it is hubed for a King Cobra Drive. I had some vibration, and blow out problems at first, took it to our local Prop Shop. They balanced the blades and increased the cup. Now it is sweet.:biggrin.: :yippie:

LKSD
06-05-2006, 07:08 PM
I too have heard of the hub concerns.. I have been running them since the mid to late 1990's.. I have gotten good results with them.. Jamie :)

Barry Eller
06-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I too have heard of the hub concerns.. I have been running them since the mid to late 1990's.. I have gotten good results with them.. Jamie :)
I haven't heard of hub problems, I meant that I have a King Cobra drive. 1993 22 Classic Donzi by Chris Craft. Original power was OMC 454HO. Re-powered with a 502 Gen VI, rectangular port heads, roller cam upgrade to 470Hp. Gear ratio is 1.43:1. 850 CFM 4150 Holley with Wieand Stealth highrise and Revolution Marine exhaust. I'm still using the OMC BID ignition system. I did eliminate the front water pump by using a crossover system.

The Prop Shop balanced the blades by grinding and thinning the blades on the front of the blade. They then put a "scotch brite" finish on the front of the blades. They told me that a mirror finish will not "grip" the water as well.
Whatever they did , greatly improved the performance of the prop.

blackhawk
06-05-2006, 08:28 PM
I bought my Ballistic from www.iboats.com it was on sale for $209.95. That could have been because it is hubed for a King Cobra Drive. I had some vibration, and blow out problems at first, took it to our local Prop Shop. They balanced the blades and increased the cup. Now it is sweet.:biggrin.: :yippie:

Thanks for the info. I'll probably look for a used one first to try. :D