PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging question

Donzi LG
06-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Can someone help me out, I have a pretty dumb question but I want to be on the safe side. My batteries need recharging and I just bought a 15 amp charger from West Marine. There is a battery type selection on the charger with Wet, Gel and AGM as the selections. I have an Interstate Marine/RV cranking battery, see attached picture. Should I be using the Wet selection for my battery? I'm not up on battery types, etc. and want to make sure I don't do any damage. I'm pretty sure gel and agm are not what I should be selecting but I need a more educated opinion, thanks!!

John

MOP
06-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Can someone help me out, I have a pretty dumb question but I want to be on the safe side. My batteries need recharging and I just bought a 15 amp charger from West Marine. There is a battery type selection on the charger with Wet, Gel and AGM as the selections. I have an Interstate Marine/RV cranking battery, see attached picture. Should I be using the Wet selection for my battery? I'm not up on battery types, etc. and want to make sure I don't do any damage. I'm pretty sure gel and agm are not what I should be selecting but I need a more educated opinion, thanks!!
John

The AGM & wet can be charged a the same rate not sure why they have a different selection for it kind of strange maybe a marketing gimmick.

Gels can not be charged at the same high rate as they can and most likely will form a bubbles/voids between the gel and the plates reducing it efficiency, over charging can ruin a gel or shorten its life dramatically.

Phil