PDA

View Full Version : More tech articles, Please

yeller
06-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Always wondered why the 'Tech Articles' section is so sparse??? That's one of my favourite spots to browse when I go to a website. With the amount of info and work done by the members here, that section should be busting at the seams. There should be articles (with pics) on stringer replacement, gas tank replacement, engine and/or outdrive re&re, engine/outdrive rebuilds. Even smaller stuff like installing exhaust tips, stereos, gauges, etc.
CarlC...put the transformation of your 22C to a 22 Cabin Cruiser :wink: :wink: in there.
Changes, repairs, installations that seem simple to you, may be a daunting task to someone else. The more documention, the better, I believe.
Anyway, that's my ramblings for the day. :rolleyes: :)

Donzigo
06-03-2006, 05:54 PM
This site is so rich with information, that each day there are tech articles, so to speak. Just do a search for the words and they will come up.

MOP
06-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Richard is right about things always going on up here, doing a search use to do a much better job then now. I don't think this version of the board software has as good a search engine as the old software. The older version seemed to be faster and more pointed, now it grabs more close but un related stuff. I think a tech section is good and was handy for many.

Phil

Carl C
06-03-2006, 08:11 PM
There are only 5 tech articles and they're not very detailed. I guess most of the projects are in "Donzi Performance Talk" like gcarter's hook filling project and Rootsy's "Red Mistress".:lifeprese

yeller
06-04-2006, 12:08 PM
There are only 5 tech articles and they're not very detailed. I guess most of the projects are in "Donzi Performance Talk" like gcarter's hook filling project and Rootsy's "Red Mistress".:lifeprese
That's what I'm getting at Carl. Everything is in the Performance section. A lot of this stuff would make an excellent tech article. I usually find what I need, but searching does suck. You end up reading through 20 threads just to find the 1 that helps you.

BTW: You should definately add your mod to the tech section when finished.

Ted Guldemond
06-04-2006, 03:48 PM
How would you go about submitting an article and to whom? I would assume there would also be an editing and selection process?

Formula Jr
06-04-2006, 05:48 PM
1. Upload all your pics to donzi.net.
2. Write down the urls to all those pics.
3. Compose your article using any of the available
html editors. Use the uploaded Donzi net pic urls in the links.
4. Test your page while on line, making sure all the links work.
5. Send an email to Harbor Master with the html file as an
attachment.

Or alternately anyone can just write a good thread starter in the performance section with Tech Article in the title. If its good, it can always be moved to a no comment section like the Tech section. Problem with this, is that everyone has an opinion. So much so, that the original author just gives up trying to convey a concise explaination and the thread becomes confusing. Writing a Tech piece is a difficult method of writing. It can take someone days to construct it and then to polish it and all for free. And most likely, the first feedback the author will get is, "Why did you do it that way?"

It a good excercise, it does take some effort though, and you can expect that what ever you write about will be critized. Anyone whining about the lack of Tech articles has the answer in their own hands ......... write one!

I can think of two subjects right now that require very little experience, just a great deal of data mining of whats already on the board.

Both deal with common questions.

What are the correct Flags for a restoration of a model and year.
And how do you dissect a Donzi serial number.

yeller
06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
.... And most likely, the first feedback the author will get is, "Why did you do it that way?"
This made me laugh...because it is so true.

...Anyone whining about the lack of Tech articles has the answer in their own hands ......... write one!
And then I saw this. I was only curious as to why there weren't more articles. You clearly answered my questions, but I was hardly whining :confused:

Donzigo
06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
I think that if guy has a question, he's probably got another one too, then another and so on. A tech section would have to include answer to so mny variables, that ti would be sort of like a dictionary. Too much for some and not enough for others............just ask and somebody will be glad to help. How much better can that be?

OK, so what's your question, Yeller?:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Formula Jr
06-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Sorry, I wasn't singling out you. Bad choice of words.

This has been asked at least three times before
and Harbormaster has made pleas for more tech articles.

yeller
06-05-2006, 09:09 AM
No problem. Thanks for clarifying. :wavey:
Once you explained it, it made me realize the work involved. If I take on a project in the future, I'll have to document it for a tech article. Can't really ask other people to contribute it I don't do it myself. :bonk:

Moody Blu'
06-05-2006, 10:50 AM
I actually had a do it yourself article on transom pick ups but its gone? must have been on the old forum, maybe it wasnt the best article(no one ever said anything to me)? not sure, i have a bunch of how to's on my atv forums that are stickied to the top page on atv riders, im a atv specialst over there(my name is highlighted in blue)

also, i have a HOW TO for the drilling and tapping of the old volvo drives as well. with detailed pictures so if im not "off the scale" with my how to i would be mighty abliged to contribute:)