PDA

View Full Version : Prop question

Cuda
06-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Why won't this prop go on all the way? It seems to fit the splines, but stops short of where it needs to go. Are Yammi's and Johnyrudes the same prop?

LKSD
06-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Why won't this prop go on all the way? It seems to fit the splines, but stops short of where it needs to go. Are Yammi's and Johnyrudes the same prop?

Bigger yamahas & merc ob & ios (non xz/xr) share the same spline pattern. Johnrude's If I remember are different.. I know my dyno has a different adapter for the johnrudes anyway.. Jamie /Lakeside :)

gcarter
06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Joe, I think the spline on the OB shaft are'nt cut long enough. You're hitting the end of the spline before the prop is all the way on.

LKSD
06-03-2006, 01:40 PM
George could be right.. It makes sense. Maybe thats why they gave me a different dyno adaptor for those.. I never really took notice of that before.. Jamie

mrfixxall
06-03-2006, 03:48 PM

joe,that looks like an old mach prop and you cant get the rite hub for them anymore..what i have done to get them to fit is greece up the splines slide the prop on then off and measure ware the greece hasnt been touched by the splines on the hub of the prop...then i press out the hub out of the prop which is real easy on those props their not a real tight fit,anyways watch out for the 6 orange poly tube thingys that wil fall out when the hub is removed..then take the hub to your local machinest and have him chuck the hub up on his leigth and remove the splines on the inner part of the hub that you measured with the greece...you may have to compinsate fot the thrust washer or have him machine the tapper in the end of the hub...I would rather run the prop with the thruse washer th keek the prop from wabblin...then greece up the hub and install the orange poly thingys and press the hub back into the prop...btw the hub slides out and in so easy you could probably get it apart with a brass puunch or a hard piece of round stock wood and beat it out...
good luck.

Cuda
06-03-2006, 04:15 PM
It's just a prop I borrowed from the Boat Hospital. I'll just take it back to them. It's a little too big anyway.