PDA

View Full Version : Progressive insurance

Ralph Savarese
06-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Has every body that has worked with progressive been satisfied I have to make an executive disision.
Drop national marine at $619 and go progressive at $249 but not be able to go back to national if things don't work out.
Is there any problems with them not insuring our boats ( age , HP, Donzi)?
Thanks Ralph

MOP
06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
Ralph I use Cook Hall & Hyde here on the island, so far so good easy to deal with. I am paying low 3's for the 22 including trailer, I would call for a qoute nothing to lose you do not have to follow up.

Phil

Cuda
06-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I guess I'm the only one Progressive tried to shaft for $1800. And that's for a 1982 with only 330 horses. :frown:

RickSE
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Ralph,
I'm doing the same next week, not renewing my current American National policy and opening a new Progressive policy. I asked American National to give me some info on a stated value policy three weeks ago and they never called me back so it's their loss. I'm using my main carrier, USAA, to help write the Progressive policy. USAA is helping because they could not cover my boat and informed me that if there is a problem with Progressive they will assist. I've never used Progressive and like you I'm a little worried when I consider what all I have invested. Having my main carrier involved makes me feel a little more at ease.

I'm planning on having the Progressive policy written before the American National Policy expires. From what I've heard though Progressive is competative and will cover our hot rods up to 70-75 MPH.

yeller
06-02-2006, 07:01 PM
You guys are sooo lucky. Insurance for $300 or less. North of the border, I had only 2 choices. $700 or $900. The $700 declined after I stated my speed. The $900 didn't ask for speed, only HP.

If it wasn't for Cuda, I'd feel ripped off. :biggrin.:

? - Does your insurance cover you out of state? I am only insured for BC and western WA. They won't insure past that. This summer, once I hit OR, I'm on my own.

MOP
06-02-2006, 07:18 PM
The "Southern Boys" get the screws put to them to a point, but look at it this way we boat for 4-5 months plus I was told we have a theft rate of about 1/2 what it is down by them so really they are not to bad off boating 12 months.

Phil

chappy
06-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Luckily, I've never had to call in a claim. My progressive rate is $193 for the year. That rate may be tied into the fact that my truck and bike are with the same company. It covers the boat for $15000, and the trailer for
$2000. $500 deductible.
Good Luck,
Rich

fegettes
06-03-2006, 05:32 AM
I have Progressive Insurance written out of California, for $485/year on my 22' Blackhawk. The policy is written for a value of 25K, and this is my second year. I have not had any claims.

Shanghied Again
06-03-2006, 08:26 AM
I did the same. I had ACE paying in NJ $1800 on my 26. The same Insurance with Progressive was $898 a year. I switched

MOP
06-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I read these posts on insurance and the prices compared to Buds with other types of boats especially fish rigs with big out boards that many go as fast or faster then many of us and wonder about the infinite wisdom of the insurance companies charging them quite a bit less. Most of our guys have better driving skills and far more conscious of what is going on around them and generally watch there azz. I had this talk with my agent he had to agreed, his claim rate was not a little but much higher for the group that were in the 20 knot range boats then any other. He went on to say that anything a hot boater does is always high lighted where as the run of the mill guys screw ups seem to go more un noticed. Duh! UN NOTICED GeeZuss they pay the claims what the heck are they thinking?

Phil

yeller
06-03-2006, 10:59 AM
MOP, I am probably correct in saying that most insurance companies don't even know the type of boat they are insuring. All they see is what is written on the paper. "It goes how fast...has what type of drive? Oh, that's in the dangerous category"

Example is my 16C. I could NOT get insurance because it was a jet drive. Jet drives in boats are considered dangerous. Jet drives in PWC's are considered safe, though. They based their logic on all the flat-bottoms of 30~40yrs ago that ran big HP and jets. Many of which blew up or sank at some point. My 16 was actually safer than one with an outdrive. I could stop faster, turn quicker and it would never spin out. All without the danger of a spinning prop hanging off the back. :confused:

LKSD
06-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I had a couple of clients that had storm / hurricane dammage a few years back. Progressive denied the claim initially, Im not sure exactly why. They said their policied didnt cover cosmetics or dock rash?? My clients had to take them to court to get paid. I have had other clients with collision claims get paid by progressive quickly though.. I personally dont use them.. I like the way Inamar, Erie & allstate had handled claims for my clients.. It was fairly easy & painless for them. There are some other ones out there as well.. You gotta shop around & ask a lot of questions based on worst case scenarios to know what you are really getting for your ins money.. Jamie /Lakeside

Scott Pearson
06-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Progressive is the last insurance company I would get. Even if they are a little cheaper. Their auto insurance is the pits! I work in the industry and I have seen how bad Progressive is.

Im working with this insurance company now and it looks like I can get a club discount of 10%

I have 300,000 Liability and my 1968 18 is insured for $30,000 and $2,000 for the trailer.

I only pay $493.00 a year. And they are Boat insurance only!

LKSD
06-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Scott, What company are you using ??

RickSE
06-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Progressive is the last insurance company I would get.
That's what I'm woried about, cheapest is not always the best.