PDA

View Full Version : zero compression on #3 cylinder

slownsx
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
During the last mile of a 75 mile flawless run up & down the St. John's River motor lost power. After stopping bildge was covered in oil and exhaust was smoking a bit. Tonight I compression checked #1-130 #2-60 #3-0. I have never seen zero, does this mean broken piston, rings etc.? I think is Has to be more than head gasket. Any ideas?

gold-n-rod
06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
bilge was covered in oil

That can only be a real bad sign, Maynard. Doesn't sound like a head gasket to me. Sorry. :(

mrfixxall
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
During the last mile of a 75 mile flawless run up & down the St. John's River motor lost power. After stopping bildge was covered in oil and exhaust was smoking a bit. Tonight I compression checked #1-130 #2-60 #3-0. I have never seen zero, does this mean broken piston, rings etc.?
I think is Has to be more than head gasket. Any ideas?first is it a ord motor?1234 on one side 5678 on the other chevy 1357 on one side 2468 on the other...now are the cylinders that have low compression next to each other if so you either blew a head gasget or ive seen ware the head burns away between the cylinders also..first pull valve covers and check for broken springs or bent push rods...if not do a cylinder leakdown by rolling motor and bring each cylinder tdc with both valves closed...take the little valve stem out of your compression guage and take a air hose regulated down to 50 psi and listen ware the air comes out...if you hear it through the carb bad intake valve,hear it through the exhaust bad exhaust valve,,,,hear it through the oil drain ports in the heads bad piston and or rings.

good luck
md

MOP
06-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Ditto on the don't sound good, what does the spark plug look like that can tell you a fair bit. If you have a digital post a shot, a few of us can get a reasonable idea from reading the plug. Take a pic as it came outm then soak in gas to rinse the easy residue off do not knock any debris off of it, I have a hunch you may have burned a piston. The plug may be covered with oil now but tell a different story rinsed off. A blown head gasket will usualy show a little compression not -0-!

Phil

MOP
06-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Just remembered one that kind of sounds a bit like yours. No real signs of any water but oil in the bilge that I am sure blew out the breathers. It was a small block it slide a piston pin out into the wall, some of the debris transfered to the adjacent cylinder via the ports.

Phil

Pismo
06-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Oil all over the bilge? Maybe a broken rod that poked thru the oil pan. Also explains zero compression, no piston movement.

slownsx
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I know a little oil goes a long way in the bildge I lost about 1/2 quart. I also thought that the oil was coming out the breathers on valve cover because oil was on top of motor and slung everywhere with help from belts. The spark plug is not pretty, electrodes are bent together touching with pitting and garbage all over. I will upload a pic when it stops raining. The motor actually ran me back to the ramp with little noise and will still run.

MOP
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Well if it got you back to the ramp fair chance for a rebuild, needs an autopsy! Start to pull it apart, no sense waiting it in not a frog anf going to heal its self.

Phil

slownsx
06-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I guess this is my chance for more hp. How much can an alpha 1 handle anyways? Stroker, heads, etc. might as well do it right the first time.

gold-n-rod
06-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Could be worse.........

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1887815 :fire:

MOP
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
Could be worse.........
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1887815 :fire:

That is the worst blown engine I have seen, very little left:shocking: