PDA

View Full Version : Selling Out?

onesubdrvr
06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Well,

I've had discussions as of late with my previous employer, a place I was at for nearly 6 years before leaving for where I'm at now.

They want me back in the worst kind of way. I could essentially write my own ticket.

I have spoken with a couple of the guys I used to work with, and the problems I had have appearantly gotten significantly smaller.

Now, as you all know, my problem getting my boat done is time - not lack of time due to work, but due to family obligations / etc.

I could go back to work there and have them get my boat restored, as well as a pay-raise that would pay for a cleaning lady for the house, and pool and yard maintenance as well - all things that take away some of my time.

Should I do it? I feel like I would be selling out, but the other side tells me that I needed to walk away so that they would realize what kind of assett I was. Also, I may have the oppertunity in the future to invest in the company for a 3rd location more local to where I'm at - and run it.

I just don't know, I'm not unhappy where I'm at now, but have a couple of frustrations with their efforts to grow my territory (so I could travel less). 2 years there, and I've picked up more customers than the 2 salesmen that get involved with my territory put together!!

As usual, another :wrench: in my daily life!!

The old company is a smaller family run business, the 2nd is a significantly larger company that would never be able to justify having a boat restored or meeting the increase in pay without spreading it out over a longer amount of time. Insurance / bennies are comparable.

Thanks for the input y'all
Wayne

gold-n-rod
06-01-2006, 02:35 PM
If your description isn't clouded by a too short memory (that sometimes happens) you could land a pretty good deal. If your memory is too short, it's deja vu all over again!!!!!!!!!

:wavey:

oilman
06-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Wayne,

Being a small business owner I can tell you if you decided to return to your previous employment you wouldn't be selling out. You'd be building on the 6 years of service you already have invested there. I have 4 employees that are back w/ me after leaving for one reason or another. We each took time to see the greener grass and now we've been able to work out our differences and move forward. Sometimes thats all it takes. I vote for the small family owned company.

chappy
06-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Aside from immediately family, the most important person in your life is YOU. Do what you feel is best. Personally, I'd like to see a photo of that X-18 restored with you skipping across three footers at the wheel with a smile on your face.:yes:
Best of Luck,
Rich

FOSTER
06-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Might want to make sure there is not any chance of the family owned shop selling out to big corperation any time soon. Been there, No fun. Personaly I always try to go with smaller companys, You can make a differance with them.

florida gator
06-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I know people often find the grass is not greener. Depending how they left determines weather they can give it a second go.

Seems like you left on good terms by the offer. I firmly believe I would not be where I am today if I were not open to ideas/offers from others. My mom doesn't always like it when I leave a good job for what usually is a better offer but, I make more than double what she does in her 25+ year job. I don't mean that disrespectfully but it is the truth. I have had similar situations with friends who brag about there tenure and complaine about the $$ (lack of).

Speaking as a employee and employer, companies will often offer more money after the fact than before you had left.

onesubdrvr
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Might want to make sure there is not any chance of the family owned shop selling out to big corperation any time soon. Been there, No fun. Personaly I always try to go with smaller companys, You can make a differance with them.
I had thought of that, and as of our most recent conversation, they have agreed to give me (in writing) first right to purchase the business, as an individual, or as the head of an employee co-op. Good point though, definately a concern in todays world.

Thanks
Wayne

gcarter
06-01-2006, 07:05 PM
as of our most recent conversation, they have agreed to give me (in writing) first right to purchase the business, as an individual, or as the head of an employee co-op. Good point though, definately a concern in todays world.
Thanks
Wayne
Good for you, Wayne.

McGary911
06-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I'd go back on my own terms....which is sounds like what you can do. You said the problems you left over are a bit better. They obviously understand and appreciate your value. One thing to remember, is that they realize that you will pull the trigger if things get iffy again. There are a lot of people out there that will bitch about leaving all day, but never do it. Since you did, they will make sure you don't have a reason to do it again.

And you get the boat fixed :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Good luck whichever way you go.

Cuda
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
It's hard to say. Generally, I never chew the same piece of gum twice.

florida gator
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
It's hard to say. Generally, I never chew the same piece of gum twice.

Advise from a wise old timer.

Ah, who am I fooling, just an old timer:biggrin.:

Lenny
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Wayne, the easiest way to come to a conclusion on this is this...

Why do you go to work?... is it the money, your family, toys, whatever?, ... What is it? Honestly.

Obviously you go to work for a reason. We all do.

Now, do those things make you happy? They had better ! If not, then get rid of the things you are working everyday to provide for that bring you no joy.

Your mindset HAS GOT TO BE , I go to work, and I like it there, so that I can provide/have these things that make me soo happy. You have to love where you are going. Seriously. This is "FISH Philosophy" and transcends into a genome level. The stress and dis-satisfaction will kill you.

You spend one third of your LIFE at work, so you had better enjoy it! It becomes far more than just money as you get older. It becomes self worth/self esteem/satisfaction and being able to get up and be happy going there and happy to get home. An equal balance.

If you can not tolerate your job, or make peace with it in your head, then you had better get out NOW, cuz you DO NOT want to be at the other end of the workforce demographic "wondering" what happened to my life and why did I keep doing this. :eek: Hindsight is 20/20, we all know that, but this is an easy one to cut at the pass. Are you happy? Look at your life and obligations. Simplify or modify or expand if you feel it will help you mentally.

I do not think it is all about money. It is about balance, but in the long run, if you CAN NOT be happy waking up and be envigorated to go there and provide a service of some value, and recieve a reward, be it monetary or personal or a mindset, then you are wasting your time in the long term.

Happiness creates, and nurtures Healthiness. As you get older, and we'll say in this case, you have "everything", but lose your health or mindset due to where you are, and begin to conduct a self worth examination, the TOP GUN Cigarette will mean ABSOLUTELY nothing if you have not been happy with yourself and your personal direction all along.

Look after yourself first, and your head, and then look at the family/money and career ambitions second. Life is short.

This is about YOU.

If I borrowed a PILE of money and bought a 38 CIG would I be happy? Yes. When I worked EVERY DAY, ALL DAY, to pay for it at a JOB I HATED, and it affected my home/family/loved one life would it provide value emotionally and menatlly,... ?? NO.

The X-18, being with a person I love, the job I have recently changed to, after 27 years, and created a challenge, hating going to sleep because the "day is over" , and love waking up, at 45 years old, but 21 in my mind, being invigorated to go to work and wait for the "disasters" in my case, and the resolution to imposible scenarios at the end of a day,... excites me. I have been in this new job since March. I love waking up, I hate leaving work, (I am sure it ill wear off, believe me) but my mindset is 1000% better than it ever was. I also can not wait to get home, can not wait to see Deneen, can not wait to go out in the boat, can not wait to buy a succulent Steak at a water based pub, after pulling up in the 18, and then driving home in the dusk.

It plays out in soo many ways. Home, love, sex, personal self worth.

DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY... YOU...

LKSD
06-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey nothing ventured nothing gained... If you feel you would be happier & more content try it.. Worst case you use it as a stepping stone & up yourself on the food chain or collect for a while on what we all have paid into... Sometimes you need to shake things up a little.. Jamie

Team Jefe
06-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Wayne - I find it very hard to argue with the wisdom of Leonard Von Scorates. He speaks a load of truth....As does Joe.

It is hard to return to something that made you leave in the first place and MONEY AIN'T EVERYTHING.

BUT...and there is always a BUT.

We all have been a small part of your family stuggle the past year or more, so writing your own ticket, and being able to enfluence a smaller company which give you BIG financial gain should not be dimissed. Getting the boat together (HAPPY), getting more finaincial stability (HAPPY), getting some house building bills paid (HAPPY), getting more time with the kids (HAPPY) and it could enable you to help your daughter more as well.

Lenny had it pegged, and in the immortal words of Sessue Hayakawa as Col. Saito " Be Hoppy in yo'r Work"

Money can't make you happy...absolute truth, but it can make being happy much easier. No fights with the wife over bills, vacations with the kids, counseling if needed for troubled teens (without it destroying the budget), etc., etc.

as for changing jobs.....I learned early on that most companies.... most.... don't give a rat's ass about you. you are an expendable asset...especially as the companies get larger. I work for BIG companies, that is the nature of the Oil Business....and they have ZERO loyalty to me....so I have little loyalty to them as well. I make 4 times the money I made 10 years ago...4 times, and it is mostly from leaving one job and going to another. I actually hate doing that, but that is how the game is played. You have to make hay while the sun shines and grab all you can before it ends.

Bubba utimately you have to decide that is best for you and those you have signed on to care for. I don't envy you the task, but I know you are a man of great character and strength. Always know, that as a member of the Donzi Family you are in my thoughts and prayers. Good Luck.

onesubdrvr
06-02-2006, 08:25 AM
First off, thanks everyone so much for your input, it's much appreciated, I must say, I'm honestly surprised at the poll results to this point.

Lenny, truer words never spoken. I do enjoy what I do for a living, I enjoy turning wrenches, and fixing things that are broke, an art as much as a science in my opinion. Like you pointed out, one thing that makes anyone happy is success. Where I'm at now, I'll never have the opportunity of any type of ownership, going back will open up some of those opportunities, something I was striving for before I left. Also, knowing your making a difference is a big self esteem booster as well.

Jefe, thanks SO much for the kind words. It never ceases to amaze me the kindness and understanding of the members here. You as well as others, TXTaz, GCarter, MOP, etc. etc. have all been there for me with my various challanges over the past 2 years or so that I've been here, simply put, AMAZING. My house is open to each and every one of you - members of my Donzi family - if you are ever in town. Though with 4 (soon to be 5) kids, you may find yourself a bit of a jungle gym.

Thanks again everyone, I'll be sure to keep you posted.
Wayne

Ed Donnelly
06-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Wayne; I am a tramp in my industry. 19 jobs in my career. I would work for a company until I learned their equipment. Maxon, North American, Volcano,Eclipse etc. I have worked for one company 3 times. Management sucks (the owner is my buddy) But, great accounts. I worked for another company twice. Went back for the new owner.(he was worse the the original owner) The accounts and the equipment I work on, far outway the hassles with management. Money isn't everything,but,it sure as hell helps. Taking some of the work load of a very busy wife has benefits. Getting the X18 done for you will give you happier leisure time, not to mention more time with family and less time working on the boat. I say go for it. If it turns out to be the same old,you can always quit again(been there done that once too many times) Just consider it one of lifes stepping stones........Ed

Cuda
06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Even though I don't advocate going back where you've already been, the chance of ownership does change the equation. I'd get it in writing. One thing I do believe, is never be afraid to quit your job, if you can better yourself. I even tell the guys that work for me that.

Cuda
06-02-2006, 09:47 AM
As pointed out, money isn't everything...............but it damn sure beats whatever comes in second! :)

LKSD
06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Even though I don't advocate going back where you've already been, the chance of ownership does change the equation. I'd get it in writing. One thing I do believe, is never be afraid to quit your job, if you can better yourself. I even tell the guys that work for me that.

Definitley nothing wrong with bettering yourself.. & Cuda's right if they offer ownership or other "fringe" benefits get it in writing. If you have it on paper you wont need it, if you dont get it in writing it seems one must always fight to get what was agreed upon.. Jamie :)

florida gator
06-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Definitley nothing wrong with bettering yourself.. & Cuda's right if they offer ownership or other "fringe" benefits get it in writing. If you have it on paper you wont need it, if you dont get it in writing it seems one must always fight to get what was agreed upon.. Jamie :)

Absolutely get it in writing. I left, probably the best job I ever had for an offer of Upper Mgmt and partial ownership at a company in a similar industry. The only catch was I had to start off as an Acct Exec, which is what I was at the previous job, while learning the different business.

The owner lives in another area. I started with nothing under a sales manager who saw the writing on the wall from day 1 and always considered me a threat. She did everything she could to sabotage my career with them. I worked hard and brought on numerous large accts with no help from mgmt (her specifically). Well after about 18 months and not getting the leapfrog over her as promised, I walked out.

Funny thing, I now have done business with the owner in my new field. He apologized for the way things worked out and has realized 2 years after I left the mgr was useless and fired her.

MOP
06-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Tough choice even with the Vig's! I have found change has always done pretty well by me, the balance of work and time for life should be your biggest consideration. When I was (past tense) working real hard and making 6 digits I though I had the world by the azz, "NOT" Yup had great toys fantastic vacations thought indigestion and hang overs were the norm. But honestly looking back it sucked, if I had 35-50 days of real OFF time off a year that was a lot. Almost every bit of my off time was sucked up by "Special events" either the Ya Hadda be there's or weddings and funerals. Get candid answers from any of our many successful members on just how much real off time they get! Heck most of my blue collar Buds between weekends=104 days, vacation=another 14-21 days plus holidays and sick time. I bet most come out with about 140-150 days off when done, now that I have paid my dues put my kids through college and gotten old as dirt I know the value of TIME! freedom!

Pick the best way to be able to enjoy life which is very short and take care of you and yours!

MOP

yeller
06-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Selling out...I hardly think so. If the job satisfaction is the same at both companies then go for the $$$. Simple as that. If the satisfaction is less, but the money is more, will you be happier overall? That's something only you can answer.
In the end, most of us only work so we can afford the things we love. What do love...and what will it cost???

Whatever choice you make, if you're satisfied with it, you made the right choice. :yes:

gold-n-rod
06-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I've had several bosses that developed Alzheimers after I was hired.. ...

Oh yeah! Well put, Scott.

:wavey: