PDA

View Full Version : Battery Mounting Question for 66' Barrelback

KDG
06-01-2006, 11:47 AM
My 66' barrelback has what appears to be the original battery tray beneath the rear seat. It is mounted between the stringers but I do not have any other hardware to hold the battery in place. It also appears to be rather tight when we need to access the battery.

Are there any decent aftermarket battery mounting kits that can be used to mount the battery and box to the existing battery tray? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt

MOP
06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Measure your opening just above the battery, I may have an original fiber glass hold down to fit. With the original you have a little storage above the battery. I went to dual batteries back in the engine box on my 22, I did away with the mount beneath the seat. If the one I have will work for you I will sell it for packaging & postage, would come out real cheap.

Phil

penbroke
06-01-2006, 01:16 PM
The original hold down is a coated steel angle frame made like the lower part you have in the boat. It sits on top of the battery and is held down with two long hook shaped bolts. The required battery is narrower than a standard group 24 or 27 but is available from Interstate I think.

I was going to make a new one for my boat to fit current batteries but have not done it yet. Another thought I had was to make a new frame to fit between the stringers like the one that is there and mount a standard black plastic battery box to it. I'm not sure there is enough headroom to do that since the battery would have to go in from above...

Frank

KDG
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for both replies. While I don't have any sort of access hatch above the battery, it appers the best route is to either fabricate a hold down for the battery or relocate the battery to the starboard side and use a regular marine battery box.

Thanks again.

Kurt

penbroke
06-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's a couple shots of the original. There is enough room to work in there with this setup. I can do some measuring if ya want to make a copy...

Frank