PDA

View Full Version : Bad News On The Front

Shanghied Again
06-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Well as time goes on it dosen't look like I am getting better, I lost my hearing in one ear and the other is on its way out. I will know by next week on how permenent it is. I am on every drug (Steroids) being the biggest. If this continues I will be selling my 2001 26 ZX with a brand new 500/580 HP engine that I spent $18,000 to have built with Stainless Marine exhaust and a Imco Xtreme Drive. the motor still hasn't been installed yet but is going in. My Vertigo is so bad I canY't drive a boat to save my life. If anyone is interested $60,000 Firm will buy this boat no trailer. :confused:

Andy McCarty
06-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Frank sorry to hear the bad news. Hope everything works out good for you and your family.

Andy

MOP
06-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Frank real sorry to hear that, believe I know it is a real bitch. I lost my hearing for about a year after doing a commercial dive with a bad cold just could not turn down the $60 and hour, the pressure drove the fluids into the guts of my ears. I thank God it came back!

Phil

Carl C
06-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Frank, we have never met but you are my Donzi brother and I truly hope things improve for you.

boxy
06-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Sorry to hear things aren't getting better.
Let me know if there is anything I can do.

gcarter
06-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Rush Limbaugh had cochlear implants installed after he lost all of his hearing.
Haven't a clue how much it cost though.

Cuda
06-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Frank. What is causing it?

BUIZILLA
06-01-2006, 01:56 PM
I had an implant/reconstruction of my left inner ear when I was about 18 or so.... took it from 15% to almost 90%.

I know the feeling.....

JH

Shanghied Again
06-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks Everyone.
They are saying the blood vessels going to my ear is glogged and they are thinner then the hairs on my head. thats not saying much because I am bald!
I went for an MRI and Ultra sound, they have me on Steroids to thin the blood flow. but I have good blood pressure. I am deaf in my right ear since I was 18 a scuba diving accident so now all I have is my left and I am aout 80% deaf in that ear now.

FOSTER
06-01-2006, 04:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss of hearing, With all the breakthroughs in modern medicine I would not give up all hope. Wish you luck.

Bret.

Last Tango
06-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Frank,
I, too, am sorry to learn that you are having this problem. I think the vertigo is probably even more upsetting than the hearing loss. You can have a hearing loss and still get on in this world quite well. Your sense of touch and taste and smell will stand out even more since your brain will only time share with 4 senses rather than five. It is the dizziness and loss of balance that becomes the real handicap to moving through life. I had a severe case of Menier's Syndrome 16 years ago and it lasted for a decade before subsiding. THAT is the scary part. Loosing your balance when you least expect it. I cannot know the full depth of your saddness for your loss of hearing (yet), but I know you are devestated that it affects so much more because of the vertigo issue.

McGary911
06-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow Frank. Sorry to hear that....You never know what treatment can do for you. I hope you don't have to sell the boat. My uncle has been deaf in one ear and blind in one eye since birth. He overcame a lot of the vertigo, and is now a 4th degree black belt in tae quan do (sp?)....he's about your age too. Even when things like that are bad, just goes to show that there's a lot you can do when u put your mind to it. Wishing you all the luck.....

Ed Donnelly
06-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Frank; Has your doctor suggested Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT)?
I also know a few people had success with Equitab. They had Subjective Vertigo....Ed

onesubdrvr
06-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Frank,

I truely am sadden to hear the news, just remember, the lord givith and taketh away,.....hopefully this is just a temporary thing until the doctors figure out a way to sort it out. Best of luck

Wayne

22zxla
06-01-2006, 08:27 PM
wow, really sorry to hear about your hearing lost. As much as you like boating and donzis this is a real blow! You are truly one of the good guys on this site. Your knowledge is valueable and informative. keep your chin up and your ears open!

boxy
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Frankie, the house is cool and chilly, thanks for your help this afternoon..... :D :D

BigGrizzly
06-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Frank sorry to hear this your boat driving is your thing. I too have a hearing problem. I feel your pain on a smaller scale. I no longer hear engines, I feel the vibrations and this stinks at speeds in a boat.

goatee
06-02-2006, 01:28 AM
frank that really sucks. when i do get around to buying my donzi, you can be my co-pilot anytime

Team Jefe
06-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Bubba - hang tough, I know there are lots of good vibes coming your way...and I know you hear them:yes:

undertaker
06-02-2006, 08:33 AM
:)
wow, really sorry to hear about your hearing lost. As much as you like boating and donzis this is a real blow! You are truly one of the good guys on this site. Your knowledge is valueable and informative. keep your chin up and your ears open!

AMEN!!!

Frank be patient something good will come your way, and don't be in a hurry to sell the boat ya just might need to drive it sometime soon:) . Take care of yourself.

Ed

Shanghied Again
06-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Thank You guys for all your concerns. the biggest proplem I have is not being able to get on a boat without becoming sick, even with the pills any fast moving gets me dizzy. I have the 43ZR going for a test ride with a customer and I have to send someone out with him to run the boat: Thats the part of the job I love the most.
Griz: How long when you lost your hearing did it take for you to get over the Vertigo.
Again Guys thanks for your concerns and prayers.

Walt. H.
06-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Frank,

Ditto from me too, regarding what everyone else has already said...
Stay strong buddy, getting old isn't for the meek. I've been there also for a while.:checkered

mikev
06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
We will keep you in our prayers Frank and hope you get better

fasttrucker
06-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Frank,Hope you get your hearing back.:frown: Look forward to talking to you again.:redface: I get dizzy when I let someone else drive in a car,I feel like I want to throw-up.I would also get sick when drift-fishing or when I ran the monster-mile track at dover.:checkered It really sucks getting old,but it beats dieing young! :jestera:

LKSD
06-04-2006, 10:11 AM
We wish you the best.. My hearing is about 30% less than avg.. The Doc's said it was probably caused from allergies & sinus issues from years ago.. My wife still insists it's the loud boats iv'e been around.. I told her it's the loud women:jestera: ... keep the faith.. Hopefully it will all turn out ok for you.... Jamie

GEOO
06-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Frank, I just read this today and the first thing I was going to do was call you. DUH!! What's going on? Some one must have some better idea. The hearing thing could have it's + & - but the dizzy thing you've got to find a cure for. God bless you Frank, I'm sure you'll over come this or find a way to adapt. Take Care George.