PDA

View Full Version : Rev Limiters

michaeldeb
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Good morning, can anyone tell me where or how to add rev limiters to twin 1982 454 Mercrusiers with thunderbolt ignition??
Thanks

MOP
06-03-2006, 08:05 AM
The simplest way would be to install a later pack with the limiter, I would do a post to find out what model packs have it and then keep an eye out on Ebay and in the Donzi wanted section. Personally I do not feel they are needed, I feel that propped to spec and a good throttle hand is all we need. I am sure the OEM's went to the limiters to cut down on warrantee claims. I bet there are a few limiter packs laying around from guys that yanked them after they made mods or went to after market ignition.

Phil

farmer tx
06-04-2006, 01:06 AM
MSD makes what they call a marine rev limiter. About 2 1/2" x 4". It is adjusted with a small screwdriver and can be dialed up or down. Seems like I payed about $135. ea. for mine. Part # 5468 I ran these with the 454 and Alpha in case I blew something up the engine wouldn't granade.

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf_catalog/Towing_Marine_143-149.pdf

MOP
06-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Mark excellent point using one on a BB or high HP SB Alpha combo, did not consider the instant revs that can bring on.

Phil