PDA

View Full Version : Boat trailer floats

Barry Eller
05-31-2006, 06:54 AM
My Performance Trailer floats. This makes for difficult loading. Dan found 30# boat lift weights for me @ www.lunmar.com and using 2 of them, the trailer now sinks like it should.:yippie:
One on the outside of each bunk. Thanks Dan, I owe you a drink!
Here is the link
http://www.lunmar.com/commerce/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&pf%5Fid=203015

Donzigo
05-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Nice application.

I used the 3 inch PVC filled with cement on both sides.

Sofa King
05-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Does this mean you are putting the trailer to far in the water if it's floating around on you?

joel3078
05-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Hell if I could get my trailer to float, I could save a ton of gas money and have way more room for stuff with all that open space. :wink: OK for real now, how the heck do you get a trailer to float? Where is all the trapped air that could make it possible? I can't believe air under the wheel fenders or simply air trapped inside the trailer frame could make a trailer float. By the way, isn't there holes in the frame for the wiring? I would think these holes would keep a trailer from floating. But being from the freshwater north country, water in a trailer frame is no big deal. You saltwater guys are another story. Do aluminum and galvanized boat trailers have sealed frames to give an extra measure of rust protection? If so, does a sealed tube filled with air float? Hmmmmmm, new concept but think about it, this is how a pontoon boat floats. I gotta get back down to Florida more often but my gut keeps telling me you guys put up with way too much crap for all that sunshine and warmth.

yeller
05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
I couldn't believe it when my trailer started to float. If it was a sealed box frame, I'd understand....but I-beam construction??? Shows how light they really are...floating simply because of the air in the tires.
1st time it happened I didn't realize it was floating. My buddy backed it in and the left side was much higher than the right. I yelled at him to pull out and back in again because I thought he was up on a rock or something. Had him do that about 5 times before we realized it was floating. :rlol:

Barry Eller
05-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Its the cypress bunks. Huge amount of wood there. Also 4 tires. Tires and wheels are bouyant also. Trailer is aluminum and very light weight.

yeller
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey Barry, can you pinpoint the location of those weights. I went to the Lunmar site and can't find them.
Thanks

joel3078
05-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Damn, learn something every day around here. Forgot about the wood and tires. I just bought a 6800# easyload style trailer. 4 wheels and 2 huge load suppport beams. They are about 4-6" wide and 8-10" tall and run the better part of the trailer length. It's a black powder coat paint steel trailer - yacht club brand (it's a sister company of eagle). But alas, it does not float and I would guess is quite a bit more weight that a aluminum rig. All four wheels have surge style disk brakes - makes for nice stopping power.

MOP
05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I alway felt it was great that mine floated our ramp dock is pretty high, we have to push the boat out and forward to get aounrd the last piling we give the boat a good tug on the lines then grab the guide pipes and center the trailer the boat slides to within a foot + of the winch makes loading super simple. I guess float on depends on the ramp you use, although one ramp I have to drive on which also works well except for having to climb over the bow to get off.

Phil

gcarter
05-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Catch22's trailer started floating when Jena bought him some aluminum wheels.....It stopped floating when he added brakes to it.
Mine has never floated, it came w/galv. wheels and brakes.

p729lws
05-31-2006, 02:01 PM
Damn, learn something every day around here. Forgot about the wood and tires. I just bought a 6800# easyload style trailer. 4 wheels and 2 huge load suppport beams. They are about 4-6" wide and 8-10" tall and run the better part of the trailer length. It's a black powder coat paint steel trailer - yacht club brand (it's a sister company of eagle). But alas, it does not float and I would guess is quite a bit more weight that a aluminum rig. All four wheels have surge style disk brakes - makes for nice stopping power.

Things are more buoyant in salt water than fresh due to the change in density of the water right? I'm not doing the math but doubt its much of a change. Maybe Rootsy's bored and feels like doing some calcs?

Dan

p729lws
05-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey Barry, can you pinpoint the location of those weights. I went to the Lunmar site and can't find them.
Thanks

Here you go Yeller. The second link is for a smaller weight I use on my lift to keep some load on the cables to keep them from bunching up when the 22's not there.

http://www.lunmar.com/commerce/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&pf%5Fid=4003

Dan

Cuda
05-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Every aluminum trailer I've owned floated. It come in handy when you back off the end of the ramp in February. :)

I've seen lots of trailers with the plastic coated lifting weights bolted to them.

22zxla
05-31-2006, 07:44 PM
YEA MY TRAILER IS ALUMINUN AND FLOATS RIGHT AWAY. iT DOES MAKE LOADING A BIT MORE DIFFICULT. NEVER SEEN TRAILER WIEGHTS BEFORE BUY I REALLY LIKE THE IDEA.

tiger lily
05-31-2006, 09:07 PM
It's a black powder coat paint steel trailer - yacht club brand (it's a sister company of eagle). \.

bobby J, and eagle trailers went belly up, no more, i never heard of them being part of yacht club, my jetski trailer is a yacht club, last i knew bob had sold his 80 foot HAT(Eagle one) or had lost it, one of the 2. i have a eagle underneath my donzi and i like it alot. i like it so much that i tore of the eagle stickers and put "donzi" stickers where they were. about aluminum trailers too, i was told awhile ago buy a trailer builder, that if and when built right, they are no lighter than a steel trailer.

p729lws
05-31-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks Dan, I owe you a drink!
Jack and Coke please!:beer:

yeller
06-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Here you go Yeller. The second link is for a smaller weight I use on my lift to keep some load on the cables to keep them from bunching up when the 22's not there.
Dan

Thanks Dan. Still don't see the ones Barry has. Both your links are the same. :D

Barry Eller
06-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Yeller, here is the link.

The part number is 203015. They are $38.25 each. I used 4" stainless steel bolts with two washers each as the holes in the weights are very big. Drilled pilot holes and screwed them to the outside of the bunks centered over the axles.

http://www.lunmar.com/commerce/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&pf%5Fid=203015

Team Jefe
06-01-2006, 07:40 AM
Most aluminum trailers are pretty buoyant...as mentioned due to large wood bunks and tires.

The Revenge's Loadmaster did not float at first, but I could almost lift it up in the water. Once I made the retrofit to 16" tires and aluminum wheels, it floated like a rubber ducky.

I had one of our designers due the Bouyancy Delta calculations and found the change had added over 300 lbs of buoyancy. I was stunned by the amount. So I added 40 feet....that's right 4-0 FEET of 2" heavy gauge conduit pipe filled with Hematite (sp). this stuff is fine lead and iron powder used in oil drilling muds. It weighs alomst threee times as much as concrete.

The pipes look like 4 exhausts coming from the trailer...Its actually kinda cool:lookaroun

yeller
06-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Barry.

The pipes look like 4 exhausts coming from the trailer...Its actually kinda coolOK...I wanna see pics of that!

need for speed
06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
My Myco STILL floats but its no big deal.. just work fast..

Team Jefe
06-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Thanks Barry.
OK...I wanna see pics of that!

The Revenge is tucked away in her new home, but I will get some this weekend and post.

yeller
06-02-2006, 05:55 PM
My Myco STILL floats but its no big deal.. just work fast..If I had a MYCO, I'd want it to float! They're just to damn pretty to hide under water. :)

joseph m. hahnl
06-02-2006, 06:26 PM
My Rolls Axle ways 740lbs. Its a 24 tandem with 10" rims.

No floating going on here:beer:

Trailer tires run high air pressure. The 15" tires on my single axle American are 80psi

Four of those fully inflated would float my Rolls :mad: .

joe

Cuda
06-02-2006, 10:06 PM
The psi in the tires would have no bearing on the bouyancy of the tires. They would displace the same amount of water.

MOP
06-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I see a guy out buy me that has aluminum with that has plastic runners it does not float not sure of the make, bet it don't float tires don't support much weight.

Barry Eller
06-03-2006, 06:07 AM
Its the two 11'x5''x8'' cypress bunks that float my Performance trailer. The MSO on the trailer stated that the trailer weight is 1100 lbs. It does have SS rotors for the disc brakes.
I had a tongue weight or lack of situation that I resolved by moving the axles back 4". Moved the fulcrum point. That was enough to give me more of tongue weight. I didn't want to change the balance of the trailer and that is why I installed the 30# bunk weights over the axles. The photo below shows the location of the axles before I moved them back. I still could use more weight though.

No puns intended about the 4 inches!!!

joseph m. hahnl
06-03-2006, 11:22 AM
The psi in the tires would have no bearing on the bouyancy of the tires. They would displace the same amount of water.

Sorry Joe: I'm no Physisist: But I would have to disagree more volume of air would make the tires more boyant.. So some day We'll Have to meet at the ramp crack a couple:beer: and prove each other wrong:eek:

joe

joseph m. hahnl
06-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Its the two 11'x5''x8'' cypress bunks that float my Performance trailer. !!!

You could have made it lighter to sink:eek: .

joe

ChromeGorilla
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Sorry Joe: I'm no Physisist: But I would have to disagree more volume of air would make the tires more boyant.. So some day We'll Have to meet at the ramp crack a couple:beer: and prove each other wrong:eek:
joe

Cuda is right..... PSI and volume are 2 different things..... a tire inflated to say 50 psi is not more bouyant than one inflated to 40 psi.... once tire is inflated to full volume and won't expand anymore thats about it.... it's already displacing the most mount of water it can....

joseph m. hahnl
06-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Cuda is right..... PSI and volume are 2 different things..... a tire inflated to say 50 psi is not more bouyant than one inflated to 40 psi.... once tire is inflated to full volume and won't expand anymore thats about it.... it's already displacing the most mount of water it can....

DAM IT" Ganging up on me!!
"O'kay joe you were right. 1st time for everthing:boggled: "

joe

Team Jefe
06-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Here are the requested photos of the "exhaust weights"

Cuda
06-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Thank you sir! My physics teacher in high school told me I'd make someone a great engineer someday. Okay, he knew more about physics than he did students. :(

Barry Eller
06-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Here are the requested photos of the "exhaust weights"
Quite innovative. How much weight did you add with your "exhaust weights"?

Ed Donnelly
06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Jeff; Slip on 4 chrome exhaust tips,to hide the black tape......Ed

Team Jefe
06-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Quite innovative. How much weight did you add with your "exhaust weights"?

Barry - we added about 280lbs all told. Not quite as much as the added buoyancy, but is still sinks....although I can pick it up and move it over if needed:biggrin:

Eddie - I thought about just that same thing, but getting dunked in Saltwater mostly would just rust out the tips and make them look worst than the black. S.S. is an option...but its just a trailer...everybody notices the Revenge, not the trailer...well except for the people on here.:lookaroun

Ed Donnelly
06-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Jeff;Forgot all about the salty water thing...
Pick up 4 tips,stick them on,take pics for the boys and girls,take them off and return them...Sorry wrong size, get your money back:idea: ...Ed

Barry Eller
06-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Pick up 4 tips,stick them on,take pics for the boys and girls,take them off and return them...Sorry wrong size, get your money back:idea: ...Ed
Too funny Ed!! I know someone that really does that with a lot of products, uses or wears an Item one time and then returned it.

And its not me either.

Team Jefe
06-07-2006, 07:28 AM

That IS a good idea...the world's only Dualled-out Aluminum Loadmaster :beer:

yeller
06-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Jeff; Slip on 4 chrome exhaust tips,to hide the black tape......Ed
And then throw on a flame thrower kit. :cistineb: :biggrin: