PDA

View Full Version : Questions, questions, and more questions.

SideshowRob
05-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey All. Not sure if a classic and an X have the same layout... but
I'm looking for a couple answers, a couple opinions etc...
1. My battery is currently in the engine compartment. I don't like this! There is what I believe to be the proper battery location under the rear seat (am I right?) That is where I would like to put it.
2. If anyone could take some pics of their engine (350 sbc) There seems to be some, ummm creative mechanics going on with hose routing and bracketry. I'm probably going to pull the engine and outdrive in the fall and do everything right, but for now if I had some direction it would help to make the X look a little more respectable.
And now for the one I don't want to ask :redface: Volvo 280 Outdrive. Ummm, I was looking at it before changing the foot oil. Is there a top screw??? I'm used to Mercs :redface: If no, then how much oil do I put in?
I might as well ask this too.... Is there any other fluids I don't know about???
Thank you for your patience :beer:

tiger lily
05-30-2006, 10:16 PM
1. my battery is under my rear seat

2. there is some crazy **** also going on with my boat, its a 78 SBF

for the fluid department, my dad does the drive stuff so ill have to ask him, but im sure someone else will chime in first.

boldts
05-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Rob - Your drive should be the same as far as oil and maintence as the 250 Volvo I had. To drain oil in drive, there should be a large flat head screw on I believe the right hand side as you look at the transom of the drive. You should also have a flat head screw on the top of the drive. This is also the dip stick to tell you how much oil is in the drive. You'll need to loosen and remove this top screw to allow the oil to drain from the drive. Once empty, put the bottom screw back in and fill drive with straight 30 weight oil through the top dip stick hole. It will be slow going and air will be trapped in the drive. So, I always took the boat to a lake, left it on the trailer, but backed it in far enough to allow the drive to pull in cooling water. Put the drive in and out of gear a few times, pull the boat out and check your drive oil level again. Putting it in and out of gear will allow the air to be replaced with oil thus dropping your oil level. There was a thread about only putting 2.25 quarts of oil in the drive, but I always filled mine to the full line of the drive dip stick. Mine always shifted nice and smooth with no problems in over 12 years of operation filling my drive to the full line on the dip stick. Straight 30 weight oil should be the only fluid in the drive. I think that answer the drive questions. Battery should be under the rear bench although I can understand why someone might move it to the engine area. Very difficult to get to in an emergency if you have other people in the boat with you. Not to mention you'll need extra long jumper cables if you ever need a jump from someone else. Can't help with the SB Chevy pictures has mine had a SB Ford in it. Good luck getting her cleaned up a bit.

Lenny
05-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Rob, your boat and vinatge is the same as the Classic 18's. That is where it is at. (battery etc)

The fluids, I believ 30W is the preferred choice, due to viscosity and seals in high rev/cold oil situations. Go for a high end 30W. As for the level, loosen your inspection screw/dipstick, (top of drive) and then drain the oil out of the bottom of the drive, (other inspection large slotted screw.)

Begin filling the thing up, and check the dip stick periodically. I "THINK " it is about 3 quarts (here, Litres) but am unsure. Just watch the stick, and back off when it starts to show up.

:)