PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Economy & Range 28 ZX

K5_Guy
05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Okay Guys,

I'm new here and I need a little help. I'm looking at two 28 ZX's one 1999 with 350 Mags and one 2001 with 6.2's they are around the same price but the newer 28 is about 1400 miles away so I don't know how the pickup would go or if I could ship it. But my main concern is fuel economy between the two as well as range. What kind of range and economy can I expect in each boat? Would I get better economy out of a Big block? I think I would prefer the twin's for driver control and handling. I just need a little direction.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dave

BigGrizzly
05-30-2006, 08:47 PM
The later one is a 377CID and very well could be the Scorpion package. Point is more HP uses more fuel. but can turn bigger props which will inturn get a equal mpg or close. The newer boat would be my choice. Gas milage is too close to call in real numbers

The Hedgehog
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
I would go for the 6.2's but I am no expert on the twin engine 28ZX. I doubt the fuel consumption would be much difference. I am going purely under the idea that more is better. I think that the 350's get it to bump 70 but the 6.2's put you nicely into the lower 70's.

Perhaps Mr. X will chime in. He seems to be pretty knowledgable on the subject.

If you don't like tinkering with stuff than stay with twins. Nice reliable power. I got a blown big block (non-step) but I like projects. It takes a pretty powerful big block to run good numbers. My fuel economy is good as long as I stay out of the boost. I am guessing that I get somewhere north of 2 mpg. That gives me a nice cruise in the 50's. Once the boost kicks in all bets are off.

Handling is no problem. These boats do well relative to other 28's in rough water.

I do not want to get into a single vs twin debate. IMHO they are quite different.

undertaker
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I owned a 2000 28ZX twin 350's ran 72 MPH all day loved the boat, IMO I would go for the 2001 with 6.2 motors great motors fresh water cooled and will make the 28ZX a real nice ride. The 2000 28 ZX'S have a newer and better hull and top deck (I think?) Frank C. (Shangied Again) or MR X would know for sure. Good luck and keep us posted:biggrin.:

Undertaker:wavey:

undertaker
05-31-2006, 09:37 AM
:propeller Oh sorry,IMO I would not worry about the fuel consumption would be to close to worry about, anyways when you own a performance boat performance out weighs fuel consumption IMO:biggrin: :biggrin: Good luck in your decision..:yes:

Undertaker:shades:

The Hedgehog
05-31-2006, 10:49 AM
:propeller Oh sorry,IMO I would not worry about the fuel consumption would be to close to worry about, anyways when you own a performance boat performance out weighs fuel consumption IMO:biggrin: :biggrin: Good luck in your decision..:yes:
Undertaker:shades:

Well put. :beer: Some weekends you burn some gas and some weekends you burn a bunch of gas. Agonizing about it takes away from the fun.

Last Tango
05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Just to help things along here, I had a 2001 C18 with the MX6.2MPI motor. It was awesome. That boat cruised all day at 50 MPH at just a hair over 3000 RPM. Got spectacular gas mileage.
MX6.2MPI is not the same as a Scorpion motor. Same displacement. Scorpion has lots of different HP goodies but also DEMANDS to be run on Premium 93 octane gas only. MX6.2MPI runs all day and gets its best speeds on 87 octane. I tried all the gas options over the last 6 years of ownership.
350 Mag runs on Regular as well.
28ZX did not come with a big block motor unless it was special ordered as a single engine rather than twins. MX6.2MPI is a small block. 350 Mag of that vintage has about 260 HP. 350 Mag MPI has as much as 300 HP. MX6.2MPI has 320 HP. 377 Scorpion has about 350 HP depending on where it is measured and who it telling you. At the crank, about 377 HP giving it a 1 HP/ci power rating. Scorpion motors added about $10k each over the base 350 motors. Be certain when shopping, which 350 you are actually getting. Scorpion motors are extremely easy to identify. MX6.2MPI motors are easy. 350's are harder at a glance because they may be carb or FI. A 2 bbl carb is a 260 HP or less. A quad is more HP but not necessarily 300.
More cubes means more torque means you can swing a bigger prop. Most MX6.2MPI came with a Mirage Plus 25P but mine was MUCH happier with a Mirage Plus 23P and still wouldn't redline. Some Scorpions came with a Mirage Plus 25P. Some had Mirage Plus 27P.
My new boat is an '06 22ZX with a 300HP Mag MPI, Bravo One drive, went through extensive factory prop-testing and was ultimately mounted with a Bravo 22P (4 bladded). To run 50MPH I turn 4200 RPM. Seemed very high to me, but the hull is stepped and this makes a very BIG difference in performance. The next 1000 rpm adds 13mph. This specific boat is only 18hours old, and not yet fully broken in.
I suggest you go for the MX6.2MPI motors. Cheapest way to get it home is to fly out to the boat, rent a GM/GMC SUV from Enterprise Rent-a-car, and tow it home. All midsize and large GM/GMC SUV's come standard with a factory tow package. Shipping is usually $1.00 per mile each way. And it is always a round trip that they charge you. Book yourself a round trip ticket when you go to inspect the boat. Be ready to purchase on the spot. Cancel the second half of the flight home if you buy the boat.
Hire a professional boat inspector to do all the important stuff before you go look at the boat. Saves you a bunch that way.

K5_Guy
06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'm leaning towards the Florida boat, Though I'm thinking of having it shipped because it doesn't have a trailer and there is a two week build time here. It already has a survey and I should have a copy of it later today. I will post it up to get opinions. I'm still a little torn on buying the boat in general its a big decision and its soooo much bigger than my 19' Sea Ray. I guess I have the pre purchase Jitters.

BTW, Here is what she looks like!

The Hedgehog
06-01-2006, 11:49 PM
I remember going from a Classic 16 to my 27ZX. Although I had driven bigger boats it had been a while. I pulled into the driveway with that big boat and thought oh my god! My folks were coming up for a visit a couple of weeks later. My father is a big boat person so I was thinking that I needed to get some docking practice in so I would not make an ass out of myself. After a good day on the water it was no big deal at all.

You will love the big boat!