PDA

View Full Version : Will 700 ponies ....

Last Real Texan
05-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Push a stepped 27 ZX single into the 80's?

I am currently running a stock 500 EFI in it and running into a wall at 72 .5 on the GPS currently with 1/4 fuel and just me in the boat .....Vortec could be on the way....

what do you think?

Bryan

mrfixxall
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
ProCharge it,,it will hit 80's

blackhawk
05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Push a stepped 27 ZX single into the 80's?
I am currently running a stock 500 EFI in it and running into a wall at 72 .5 on the GPS currently with 1/4 fuel and just me in the boat .....Vortec could be on the way....
what do you think?
Bryan

If a stock HP500 is getting you 72 then 700hp should put you at 80+mph all day long.

The Hedgehog
05-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Because then I will need at least 800 hp to hang with you! My 600 odd hp and non-step will be watching you on the horizon.

BigGrizzly
05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
What is funny, all the non supercharged guys answered. I have a procharger on mine but have dynoed both vortex and procharger. Point is 5 psi of boost is 5psi of boost on either. HP drain difference in not measurable. Vortex has a rebuldable intercooler procharger does not. Both fit well and both are clean installation. An HP500 has about 470 HP. Yours has about 415 HP. You need about 12->20 hp per mph depending on the boat. So you need about another 160 HP to reach 80 so this is doable. Knowing what your engine is capable of with either unit the choice becomes personal. People on this board hear us procharger guys talk no one on this board has a vortex that I know of, I have seen both in action. the Vortex is cheeper to fix if the blower breaks, Procharger sels you a new super charger and doesn't fix the old one, Vortex does, I beleive for about $500. The choice is yours

The Hedgehog
05-31-2006, 03:00 AM
What is funny, all the non supercharged guys answered. I have a procharger on mine but have dynoed both vortex and procharger. Point is 5 psi of boost is 5psi of boost on either. HP drain difference in not measurable. Vortex has a rebuldable intercooler procharger does not. Both fit well and both are clean installation. An HP500 has about 470 HP. Yours has about 415 HP. You need about 12->20 hp per mph depending on the boat. So you need about another 160 HP to reach 80 so this is doable. Knowing what your engine is capable of with either unit the choice becomes personal. People on this board hear us procharger guys talk no one on this board has a vortex that I know of, I have seen both in action. the Vortex is cheeper to fix if the blower breaks, Procharger sels you a new super charger and doesn't fix the old one, Vortex does, I beleive for about $500. The choice is yours

Actually, I do have a Procharger. It is the M-3SC with the 504 AWC Intercooler.

Additionally, He has the 500 EFI which has 470 hp. At least that is what the silver plate from Merc Racing says on the top of his intake plenium. It is the EFI version of the carbed HP 500. Some folks call it the HP 500 EFI.

I did not know that about the Vortec intercooler being rebuildable. That is interesting but after dealing with Procharger that does not surprise me. The other difference is that Vortec reprograms the ECU and Procharger does not. No bid deal there as Precision EFI will reprogram your ECU for around $350. I had them reprogram my ECU and the transom is clean, the boat starts/runs like a dream and it is not stumbling around in cold start mode (because the thermostat and water pump are now gone).

None the less, I hear that you have one heck of a dialed in setup. I read that you put some thought into your combo and dialed it in on a dyno. I would love to see your setup in action!