PDA

View Full Version : Plug problem

florida gator
05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Anyone ever have the porcelain part seperate from the metal part? No cracks or anything. I was running toward Dunedin Causeway about 4500 rpm and heard a loud noise so shut down imediately. Found the porcelain part lying in the bilge connected to the cable. Called in to Sea Tow, replaced all the plugs Sunday and finished out the weekend on the water as planned.

RedDog
05-30-2006, 01:33 PM
not an answer but another question - couldn't you limp home on 7 cylinders or could that cause damage?

BUIZILLA
05-30-2006, 01:40 PM
I have had it happen a couple times too... I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

JH

Cuda
05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Bet they were Champion plugs. I had it happen to me. I thought I blew the engine. I got towed in too.:mad:

mrfixxall
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM
What buzz said,,ive senn it happen alot being in the bizz...its just a defective sparkplug....

Formula Jr
05-30-2006, 04:59 PM
it usually isn't the plug's fault. You need to be real careful installing them and use a good foam padded socket driver. Even a slight angle while putting them in can cause a hair-line crack which will heat stress and eventually crack all the way through. In your case the bond between the base and the ceramic failed. It would interesting to see pics or if you knew the lot number. Could be a bad batch. All plugs are designed basicly the same. Just different temperature ranges.

An extra plug, sprayed with wd 40 and put in a zip-lock bag is part of my boat kit.

florida gator
05-30-2006, 06:00 PM
not an answer but another question - couldn't you limp home on 7 cylinders or could that cause damage?

Good question. I guess that would also partially depend on your distance from the ramp. Since I was 25 miles away and the sound was really loud and annoying and my Seatow membership was paid in full, I opted for the tow.

I now carry extra plugs also. Seatow operator said she could send the Capt out with a spark plug socket but I didn't have a plug. I would have much rather changed the plug and run back instead of the alterfnative.

Seatow arrived quickly but towed me toi the nearest ramp and called me a cab to drive me to my trailer. That kinda sucked.