PDA

View Full Version : Trim wiring for merc 260- merc 350 mag conversion

sizeplay
05-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Hello gentleman, i needed to repower my boat and so I went from a 1984 merc 260 to a 2005 merc 350 mag. The conversion is complete except for the connection of the up-trim wiring from the drive to the engine and to the throttle switch. The throttle/control is the original 1984 quicksilver. Apparantly the installer couldn't figure out how to connect the wiring from the drive up through the motor and then to the throttle...Has anyone else experienced this issue when swapping from an old merc 260/quicksilver to the new merc packages and if so how can I get this resolved?

There are two unconnected wires (one female and one male connector)coming out from the drive(mercruiser alpha SS drive) which I assume control the up trim....Now on the motor wiring harness there are some wires that are labled "analog trim", "digital trim", "Trim/Trans Overtemp ground". I would assume that the wire from the drive should be connected to the "analog trim wire." And the other wire should be connected to the "trim transmission overtemp ground wire." Is this the correct wiring going from drive to engine?

If this is correct then I assume my installer had problems connecting the up trim wiring from the engine wiring harness to the throttle(quicksilver)...Does anyone know how to connect this section? Has anyone had a similar difficulty in connecting the trim wiring to an old quicksilver throttle control? Thanks in advance

Jim

sizeplay
05-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Please disregard the first post. I have learned that it must be a trim limit issue and not a wiring issue related to the wiring harness or the throttle trim switch...
the trim limit is only a year old and the boat hasn't been used in that time so I don't think the trim limit is bad but maybe the wiring of the trim limit got jumbled on the install of the motor or maybe it's a solenoid but I doubt that since the trailer button works to trim up. I have read that folks with an operative trim guage will opt to jump the trim limit wires somehow so the trim up works on the throttle. does anyone know how to do that? Thanks
Jim

sizeplay
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
problem solved . it was much easier than I had planned...as usual :lookaroun I always thiking the worst.

ended up being simply the trim limit switch on the drive...need to be tweaked to make better contact....Go figure I would think of everything else it could be expect for the obvious.

Jim