PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 250 capacity

David Ochs
05-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Today I replaced the oil in the old 250. The book says that it holds 2.25 qts.
It doesn't even register on the dipstick. BTW the book says to NOT screw the dipstick in to check the level. Is everyone else using 2.25 qts? I don't get it!
Also, is there a dye that can be used in the oil to make it visible on the dipstick?
Opinions are appreciated, thanks.
Dave

boldts
05-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Dave, don't have a good answer for you because I never used a manual when refilling the oil in my 250. I just used straight 30 weight oil and used the screw in stick to read it as full. I did find that almost every time I changed the oil, air would get traped in the drive. So, while the boat was still on the trailer, I'd put her in gear and out of gear a couple times, pull the boat back out at the launch ramp and check the oil again filling as needed. Yes, it was hard to read the oil level, but I was always able to see wet stick vs dry stick when checking. Not sure why they would say don't use the stick to check the oil level. What's it there for if your not supposed to use it? Worked this way for over 12 years with never a problem with that drive. I wish everything in todays world was as dependable as my Volvo 250 was.

David Ochs
05-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks Scott,
I've been doing exactly as you have described for many years. Then recently after discovering that it is supposed to only take 2.25 qts, I figured I was maybe overfilling it. But, like you said, it's been okay all these years.
Thanks for the reply.
Dave

penbroke
05-29-2006, 08:10 PM
My 200 takes just shy of 2 qts. to fill it.

Frank

boatnut
05-29-2006, 09:12 PM
It is best to pump the oil in from the drain plug (as opposed to filling it from the top) to eliminate all the air traps. Never did measure exactly how much oil it took. Ed

hbochs
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
The manual for the Volvo DP-S drive on my Albemarle boat absolutely recommended pumping it up from the drain hole. It also said that if you had to fill with the dipstick hole, to tilt the drive half way up to allow air to escape. As a side note, either Volvo or Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil was REQUIRED. Always thought that was strange (and expensive!).

BigGrizzly
06-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Don't use 30 wt Volvo change that in a 1970+ bulletin they use gear oil. I use it in my 16 and 18. It helps prevent the famed "put it in gear and rev it up to go in gear trick". BTW which is caused by glased cone cluch parts and can be lapped in and fixed without new gears.