PDA

View Full Version : Help Water Coming In Stearn Drive?

VICPERDIDO
05-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Help, I have an 89 Donzi Regazza 5.7 with an OMC Cobra stearn drive. I seem to have water trickeling in from somewhere, the stearn drive I presume. I have replaced the shaft bellows, and the exhaust bellows and installed a new gasket of course when I put the stearn drive back together and I still have the trickeling coming in. It didnt appear to change the flow any. Does anyone have a clue as to what to check next or what might be a common solution to the leaking and how to check the problem. I have the factory quiet exhaust also. I thought that it might have been my drain plug so I installed the 1/2 inch brass threaded drain plug into the brass threaded through transom drain and put water in the bilge to test and no water came out of the plug area. Please help, its not a bad leak but is annoying. Thanks

Lenny
05-28-2006, 02:16 AM
Speedo tube ? (holes)

Do you have trim tabs? (more holes)

Does it leak when you leave it on the trailer and put a GIANT bucket under it (for the drive pick-up) and run it? Is there water in the hull from this scenario?

MOP
05-28-2006, 10:58 AM
If you did not use sealer on the drive gasket which OMC states it can slowly leak, plus it is important to tighten the mounting nuts evenly and torque it to 40lbs. A sealer should be used on all drive mating surfaces no matter what even Bravos, water will seep in and over time corrode the surfaces.

Phil

VICPERDIDO
05-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I think the Speedo tube is way above the water line, but I will check that, and to make sure it doesnt have a crack in it. Yes I did use gasket sealer on both sides of all mated surfaces, thanks for the reply. I always flush it with the flush tool but I have never put the plug in while I flushed it to see if it is leaking water in that way I will check that, but it leaks in while the engine is off also, thanks. I dont have trim tabs, I did torque the bolts in the criss cross pattern. first at 25 lbs then 50 lbs like the book showed. When I pulled off the old shaft bellows there was no water in the ribs so I dont think that it was leaking around the mated surfaces or the bellows in the first place. I checked the mated surfaces and they were clean and I didnt see any corrosion that could pose a prospective leak. Please keep the suggestions coming. thanks a bunch.