PDA

View Full Version : Acetone adder to gas results

joel3078
05-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Awhile ago, there was a few threads on this subject but not much for first hand results from people that really tried it. Well, I bit the bullet and am adding 1.5 ounces to 5 gallons in my 2000 Harly Ultra twin cam 88 engine and also a buddies bike - another Ultra with the hopped up rebuilt Screaming Eagle Evolution engine. Within 1/2 hour, both bikes started easier, idled smoother, cruised at 60-70mph with less noise coming out the pipes and less stinky exhaust coming out the pipes. I typically got 160-170 miles per tank of gas. Now getting 180-190 miles on a tank. We have a little 1982 kawasaki 440LTD that will be the next test victom. Oh ya, My twin cam harley can now burn 87 octane without pinging - must raise the octane level up a few notches. Total investment in testing is 13 bucks for a gallon of extra strengh (100%) acetone at the hardware store or Walmart and 4 bucks for one of those Stabil gas stabilizer bottles with the neato 1 ounce side measuring pour spots. Pour the Stabil in whatever, use a little acetone to rinse the stabile bottle out, then fill the stabile bottle up with acetone via a small funnel. A gallon of Acetone will last a long long time! Here is a link to the Stabil bottle. http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/products.htm I use the 8 and 16 ounce sizes. Later on in the summer, we will try it out on trucks and the Donzi. Film @ 11!

Marlin275
05-27-2006, 04:10 PM
This topic was on MythBusters a few weeks ago.
They used measured amounts of acetone, ran the engine and
waited to see how long it would run and found that
gas mileage was slightly worse with acetone mixed with gas.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/episode/episode.html

joel3078
05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Which myth buster episode? I looked quickly at the link and did not find it. I'm very interested in learning more about this and also what criteria the mythbuster guys used. It's also my understanding that the optimum amount of acetone needed varies from engine to engine. It's well documented that too much acetone causes mileage and performance to go down. This is so cheap to try, that many people are doing it and recording results with the scanguage device. That device in on backorder by the way - they can't make em fast enough. www.scanguage.com I've also heard that the acetone adder does not work well when too much ethanol is blended with the gasoline. Bottom line is it's cheap to try it out, and like getting the best performance out of your boat, ya gotta play around for awhile and do lots of testing. Harley's were easy to start testing with as they are notorious for running rich and shake like a pig. Pun intended! Unless you by the B engine which is counterbalanced and has much less vibration.

Marlin275
05-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Which myth buster episode? I looked quickly at the link and did not find it. I'm very interested in learning more about this and also what criteria the mythbuster guys used.

They had a measured fuel canister and tried super magnets and
all kinds of gas additives. They even tried a gimmick that extracted hydrogen from water. When it proved to supply far too little hydrogen to even start the car then they went and put hydrogen from a compressed tank and started the engine with pure hydrogen, it ran great with no modifications. They turned it off and on restart it blew up and they jumped real quick out of the way. Some day hydrogen, but its still too dangerous!

I think your driving style means more to gas milage than gas additives ever could.

I am pretty sure it was this episode.

Episode 53: Exploding Pants
Tory, Kari and Grant investigate one truly dangerous fashion disaster: spontaneous trouser combustion. It's a problem far too prevalent among farmers. The MythBusters call in the help of the FBI to investigate this trouser tall tale. Meanwhile, Adam and Jamie try to save viewers some hard-earned cash in the Great Gas Conspiracy. When the motor car was born, the great gas conspiracy was the afterbirth. According to conspiracy theorists, gas companies and car manufacturers deliberately make cars so that they guzzle fuel. Then, behind closed doors, the two groups share the profits.

Pismo
05-28-2006, 06:45 AM
I had an old Land Rover and I tried the acetone thing. Made no difference. No reason it should. The acetone, as a very small very volatile molecule would evaporate out of the gas within minutes anyhow. Myth Busters,,,,please,,,but I think even those guys got this one right.

MOP
05-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I tried it for a few weeks on my Dakota, after thoughts make me think it was me driving a bit different maybe not. If it did do anything it was very marginal and not worth the bother.

Phil