PDA

View Full Version : How to buy a boat

harbormaster
09-17-2002, 09:09 PM
The following lies true no matter WHO you are buying the boat from.

1. Find the boat you want. Drive the crap out of it. Check for a clean dry bilge

2. Negotiate the price

3. Ask what scheduled maintenance work has been performed on the engine and outdrive (impellor, gimbal bearing, boot, etc.)

4. Have a mechanic check out the drivetrain.
(starter, compression, trim pump/motor etc.)

5. Depending on the age of the boat, have a surveyor check out the boat. Boats built in the 90's probably will not need it. A lot of insurance companies require a survey on older boats.

6. Re-negotiate the price. :D

7. Ask what warranties there are on anything (be prepared to be laughed at) This eliminates any misunderstanding. Remember. Boats break all the time for no reason at all with no warning.

8. Open your wallet, buy the boat and take it home.

9. Call your wife on the way home and inform her that you have bought a boat.

Formula Jr
09-17-2002, 09:26 PM
You forgot to mention that when a 19 year old seller says that the boat is "Crescent Fresh," that you should promptly turn, clear your mind, get in your car, and drive away with out saying a word.

ToonaFish
09-17-2002, 09:57 PM
I'm not 19... I'll bite, what is "Crescent Fresh"?

harbormaster
09-17-2002, 10:31 PM
must be one of those backwoods sayings...

MOP
09-17-2002, 10:54 PM
Having been a marine mech and an engine surveyor one of the most important things many people do not do is to take oil samples after a hard run. The kits are cheap through Boat US, and many good marine suppliers. Do all of the above stuff posted by the Harbor Master as your wallet allows but do not forget to oil sample the engine and drive. It is about the cheapest and most positive of all! Most kits include the fee for testing and returning results.

harbormaster
09-17-2002, 11:48 PM
what does the oil sample tell you??

ToonaFish
09-17-2002, 11:53 PM
The oil sample tells you if it's crescent fresh...

Dr. Dan
09-18-2002, 12:07 AM
:D Tuna...you're killin me here :D ...Doc

Scott Pearson
09-18-2002, 05:59 AM
You can see if the oil has any WANG in it...... eek!

But really....By the time you take the sample and have it checked the boat can be sold....

We take samples on large heavy equipment...but then again your spending $100,000.00 ++++. A larger boat I can see.

(NJ)Scott

MOP
09-18-2002, 07:54 AM
Buy the kits as soon as you start shopping.
Oil samples take only a few days, it will probably take a few days to get a qualified mechanic to check out the boat, he can do compression, look at oils and do a visual. This will not tell all about the engine, an engine can pass those tests and lunch its self a month later. Oil samples will indicate what is breaking down in the way of metals and will show any water or fuel intrusion no matter how slight. Normaly if you find a boat you will put a deposit on it which should be refundable and state your terms, get them in writing. If the seller is reluctant you should be wary, if your testing shows developing problems you can walk or renegotiate. An engine or drive is an expensive item, alot of us are on a buget with shallow pockets and do not need a planter sitting in our driveway. Remember boats are a passion and we do get carried away with the beauty only to find out it was a two bagger the next day!

Dalelama
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
I send in an oil sample every 25 hours for my Lycoming (plane)... it's best to continue this habit, so the lab can develop any trends on wear or contamination, that your specific engine may be subject to.

A one time deal will not really be that benificial... and that comes from the factory, and they recieve NO funds for this service.

It may show some major problem, but straining the oil thru a paint filter will do the same.

HyperDonzi
09-18-2002, 07:08 PM
this is added to my bookmarks.

instead of "wife" for rule #9, it will be my parents.

the otherday they said i need to move out before i can buy a boat. apartments are too expensive!!!

Formula Jr
09-18-2002, 08:02 PM
Then of coarse there is step 10.

Set up cott in garage, break out the coleman stove, rent a porta potty and plan for a long stay............which works out, cause, one; the boat is close by and you can sit in it and make "Vroom Vroom" sounds all winter, and secondly; since you will not be living in the house anymore, she will have no basis for yelling at you cause you didn't use a coaster, forgot to wipe your shoes or left the seat up. :D :D

mattyboy
09-18-2002, 08:23 PM
If you take step 9 in my house you ain't gonna make it too the 10th step.

hey Scott P. you're qouting my favorite movie
Hollywood knights, Volare!!!wo oh FRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
hey little red riding hood want to be eaten by the big bad wolf!!!!! :D :D

but when buying a boat go with your gut reaction

Matt

Sagbay32
09-18-2002, 09:44 PM
Mattyboy,
Thought I was the only one who remembered Newbomb Turk!

Mike

mattyboy
09-19-2002, 10:13 AM
great flick,
great cars,great music,
fran dreschers first flick michelle pfifer's first flick, a classic
sasha dabinski the one armed violinist :D

the last time I sunbathed topless my smileybo
went from a c to an a eek! eek!

now I'm gonna have to watch it tonight

Matt