PDA

View Full Version : Volvo U joints

mattyboy
05-26-2006, 07:47 AM
here's a question for the Volvo guys
are there differences in the U joints or the shaft they go on in a 250 and a 270???
we can't see any noticeble difference but the 250 won't fit the U joints slide on but seem to bottom out on the shaft about 1/8th short so the pins in the forks won't line up
the 270 lines right up

are the splines flared ?

penbroke
05-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I just went out and looked at the 270 in the garage. I don't see anything that it could bottom out on. The splines on the u-joint yoke go clear through. You should be able to push the primary shaft through the yoke untill it hits the u-joint spider. At least an inch of over travel. I don't know of any difference between the two. The splines are not tapered.

What boat? Did you pull the engine/primary shaft or just pop the drive off? If you had the primary shaft out it or the bearing(s) may not be installed correctly causing the end of the shaft to stick out too far??

'just sayin'...
Frank

mattyboy
05-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Frank,

we have pulled the drive off everything on and in the boat has not been touched
we pulled the helmet bolt out removed the water hose and shift cable and the two retaining pins pulled the bellows off and pulled the drive
the female end (the end that slides onto the shaft coming out of the boat)of the u joints on both of my 250's and Kenny's 270 and 250 are sealed, capped , closed, and are approx 2 1/4" deep
it is a 72 cig chevy 350 volvo 270 combo

270 deal
250 NO deal ??????

we changed my 250 in the dark in about 15 minutes with a replacement 250????

and the splines on the shaft sticking out of the boat appear to be flared

any thoughts

Thanx

mrfixxall
05-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Matty,sounds like the shaft with the splines may be twisted a bit and wont let it slide on,,ot their may be too much greece in the yoke and it may be bottoming out....

MOP
05-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Matty take something thin, strong with a sharp edge slide it down the splines and see if it catches any ridges. Time and no grease can wear them, and make them a bear to get into. The other thing that can happen is too much grease in the Ujoint end which stops it from fully slide in, the grease should be brushed on not gobbed in the hole.

Phil

mattyboy
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
something is different on the 250 the 270 fits no problem??? or perhaps the transom assembly is slighly different???
looks like the experiment with the 1.3 drive will wait
the 270 goes back on for now

maybe see if the 1.3 fits on my setup that would tells us something but what i am not sure ?? :confused:

Moody Blu'
05-26-2006, 06:53 PM
i had no issues when i installed new u joints on mine?

mattyboy
05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Ok so everyone is on the same page here
we are not just replacing the u joints
we are replacing a 270B with a 250A the whole drive both are complete including u joints

could the shaft be different on the 270 setup on the drive end of things as it is for a chevy?? and well more 250 were mated to fords??? this would be a bad thing if it is a chevy ford thing

i guess when we have some time we could try the 270 on my boat again that might tell us something but what???

MOP
05-26-2006, 07:45 PM
#27 on this page http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/Volvo_oem/Volvo.asp?Type=13&A=7&B=169
#62 on this page http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/Volvo_oem/Volvo.asp?Type=13&A=7&B=166

Show the both yokes to carry the same part number, I know the bell housings input shafts are the same. It should go on, dig around inside the yoke to see if it is rust, burred or maybe crusted with hard grease.

Phil

penbroke
05-26-2006, 08:44 PM
The female spline on the drive may be worn a bit where the end of the old shaft (from it's previous life) was mated to it. This would cause a bit of a shoulder in the splines. Do what Phil said and look for any edges or steps in the splines. If you find any you may be able to file them smooth enough to get them to slide together. Also you may be able to clean up the end of the primary shaft with a file to remove and sharp edges that might catch.

Frank

mattyboy
05-28-2006, 06:16 AM
splines on both look in great shape
as anyone here successfully put a 250 on a 270 transom plate??

MOP
05-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Another possible guess is Volvo made some odd things for Volvo/Chriscraft setups. Did the drive come off and old Chris?

Phil

mattyboy
05-28-2006, 08:25 AM
yes we think so

MOP
05-28-2006, 08:50 AM
The difference might be the two styles of bell housings the out put shafts may be slightly different also. 90 some odd percent were the bell housing with the snout and then the big round longer one that the I remember the Chris's had. I think Flat Racer has a Chris style one. Pain of a job but you could swap the yoke which has to work.

Phil

mattyboy
05-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I mean it slides on but just doesn't seat all the way, we thought the housing or forks might be off or bent a little
we are toying with maybe changing lowers?? but that will be for a rainy day
nicest Memorial day weekend i can remember in a long time in the North east

:)

BigGrizzly
05-28-2006, 10:33 AM
There are two setups one has a primary shaft that runs through a bearing in a center section then a bell housing to the motor H&M setup. the other goes directly to the flyweel cupler. The later twist the plines and causes them to stick. I also think this one shorter. But the universal with two U joints is the same in both.